Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2003 Patriot drop away

Old 08-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2003 Patriot drop away

By the way, if you go the served into the cable route, I like to serve a small portion of cable (1/2" long) and then place the draw cord beneath the served cable. I then tie a knot in the off side draw cord just for good measure.
I go this route so I can adjust the drop time by increasing/decreasing the amount of draw cord length coming from the cable.
If you serve the actual cord in you have to cut it each time you want to adjust the length.

This probably isn't the pro's way of doing it, but until you finalize where you think itneeds to be it allows the easiest tinkerability.

This might help with the discription-

Old 08-26-2006, 04:49 PM

Dave, thanks for the heads up on serving the cord.I think that would definitely make it easier to tune.Seems like I'm hearing a lot of folks having luck with the drop zone.I did have a TT on a previous bow and it is a fine rest.I do remember though the issues that rack attack had witha TT on his bowtech due to the nock travel issues and the infinnity cam.

BTW that's a nice buck in your avatar.

CB
Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

The arrows I'm shooting are the new ST or thin Epics,although I think the finnish is the same as the old ones.I gues I'm just anal about the rest noise.I've allways used felt or moleskin on my arrow rests and they were nearly slilent.
Yea...........I think the finish is the same.

As far as the shooting goes.The bow has been paper tuned,then walk back tuned out to 40 yds.So I don't think it's a tuning issue.It could very well be my form,I just know that I have shot much better in the past.

If your bow is tuned out to 40 yards then I highly doubt it is anything on the bow.........I can't really think of a reason that a well tuned bow would not shoot accurately.........unless your arrow spine is off but then it wouldn't have tuned well..........especially on paper. What do your arrows look like when they fly........and are your vanes getting damaged??

I'm not one to just start changing things and suspect the "bow " is the problem when I'm not shooting well either.I guess it's just the combination of the noise issue,fletching wear and now the inconsistency in my shooting that has me wanting to try something else.

CB
I can respect that..........especially with the season fast approaching. If your fletches are taking a beating then something is not right. Check the ring of the WB and see if there is any sign of contact. My experience has been that any notable wear of vanes is from the arrows clipping the outer ring.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm shooting blazers and all 3 vanes are getting marks on them from passing thru the bristles.It appears to be brown markings(same color as the bristle material).It is on allthe vanes so I can't imagine all 3 are hitting the disk.

I really don't want to turn this thread into another WB diatribe.I know plenty of guys who kill deer with the rest.However having confidence in your set up is important,right now I don't have confidence in my shooting at longer ranges.

CB
Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Cajun, if you go the with a TT PM me And I'll tell you what it took to make it work. I would post it openly, but don't want any rotten tomatoes thrown my way[8D].
Old 08-27-2006, 09:07 AM

I'm shooting blazers and all 3 vanes are getting marks on them from passing thru the bristles.It appears to be brown markings(same color as the bristle material).It is on allthe vanes so I can't imagine all 3 are hitting the disk.

I really don't want to turn this thread into another WB diatribe.I know plenty of guys who kill deer with the rest.However having confidence in your set up is important,right now I don't have confidence in my shooting at longer ranges.

CB
I couldn't agree more.............I really couldn't care less what rest you shoot. Just trying to help you out.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Which drop away would ya'll recomend for a patriot.I've heard due to nock trvel issues timimg some of the rests can be difficult?? The local Bowtech shop seems to favor the QAD's.I have a last year model NAP 2000 laying around but I'm reluctant to use it because it hooks to the cable slide.I've also heard due to the small movement of the cable slide on the infinity cams this is not recomended.I guess I could serve it to the down cable?

Thanks,
CB

Most of the time the issue is the rest bouncing back causing the contact. Why the Muzzy works(does not hit anything) Ultra Rest now has the LD version(Lock Down) will not bounce back. Ultra Rest does not use the cables, it works on velocity of the arrow.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM

I couldn't agree more.............I really couldn't care less what rest you shoot. Just trying to help you out.

I appreciate that. It's just that I've seen a lot of threads get nasty when someone says something negative about the WB.I can remember reading one on here recently thet got way out of hand IMHO.That was not my intention with this post.

CB