Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

boone & crockett score mis under stood...

Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM

Default boone & crockett score mis under stood...

i was watching the out door chanle the other day and watch a hunter scoreing his buck on TV .. later i was at the boone & crocket wib site and noted that the hunted had messured from the tip of the point to the center of main beam .. that is wrong .. it is messured from the tip of the point to the nearist edge edge of the main beam ... not the center of the main beam....thats a cheap ass way to add a 1/2 inch for each point ... if you got to cheat , i dont want to watch your show ...if you dont really know or under stand the scoreing messurements than dont act like you do ! anyone else see that show ...watch for it you'll see what I mean ...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: boone & crockett score mis under stood...

no i havent seen it but ill watch for it sounds kinda odd
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM

he shot the buck in a hunt and than scores it after ...i didnt noice it at frist but i watch him draw the center line on the main beam and than messure from the tip of the point to the line he had drawn . thats not the way the boone & crockett explans their scoreing messurements are taken . i have a copy of the Boone &crockeet club scoreing i down loaded from their site .. if i am wrong some one let me know .....

as i under stand the scoreing the center line is drawn on the main beam for (H1,H2,H3,H4 ) messurements of H circumferences..

and not over all point lenght...

do the pro's make missteaks too ? LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ive seen a Official boone & crockett scorer score a typical mule deer and in doing so he placed a piece of masking tape on the main beam then penciled a line where the middle of the main beam would be and then measured the point from the line on the center of the main beem up.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Why does it bother you so much? I don't get it. If he cheats himself
how does that effect you? Don't get so pissed off about people overscoreing their deer, people do it all the time. Some people do it and they don't know they are doing it, because they were taught wrong. Some people do it because theywant to cheat, because it's really important to them and really importantwhat their deer scores.Oh.....and just because the guy is on tv doesn't mean he know everything about deer hunting. Coolit just a little bit. Scoring isn't that big of deal.

To me this scoring is crap anyway. A big old mature deer is a big deer. Why do we have to catagorize them by the eveness or their antlers or thier tine length. To get our names in some book?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschammel

To me this scoring is crap anyway. A big old mature deer is a big deer. Why do we have to catagorize them by the eveness or their antlers or thier tine length?
That is exactly how I feel. The deductions are just rediculous if you ask me. Who cares if your typical deer is not perfectly symmetrical? I think a couple of hooty-tooty lawyers must have been in on the creation of the P&Y and B&C scoring systems. Sure wasn'tcreated bya couple of rednecks in a garage (like most of life's great ideas)
Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

Gross score is the best indicator for a bucks size because the net score essentially doubles the smallest side. Then stickers and abnormal points are deducted. For example, I shot a 5 1/2 yr old 9 pointer. 138 gross. It had a forked g-1 on the left side (deduction), and a forked g-2 on the right side and a missing g-3 (deduction)(deduction). A 7 pointer with 2 abnormal points. The net score is that of a 6 pointer which, after deductions netted 115. Sounds like a decent 2 1/2. This deer dressed at 220 lbs. The 138 gross score better describes the deer. Here's a pic of him.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

GregH
Your buck is a trophy becasue he is a mature whitail with good antler growth. Nice buck by the way. Your right though the best way to describe them is by gross. I think the eveness thing is a big joke with the books. I have shot a booker and I will never enter it. If I shoot a 200 inch buck I still won't enter it into the books. It's just not why I hunt.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I dont care
Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got a buddy who gets pissed because i say the animals gross score not the net he feels that thegross is lying. But my feeling on that is if ur gone take those points off for deductions u might as well cut the horns off where ur making the deductions so that they match

Quick Reply: boone & crockett score mis under stood...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.