Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

OK guys...

Back in the day--when this was little more than a fledgling venture fighting for its place on the net among the hunting community, there was a seeming abundance of quality, thoughtful andsoundly reasonedposts here on a regular occurence. Not that there aren't some great ones occasionally now, but... I think we can all agree we've become more conditioned to become a "microwave society" -- and it gets worse every year. We're all expected to do more with less, and there's more distractions than ever competing for our time.

Perhaps that's why some of us have noticed what I referred to when conversing with a couple friends as an "atrophying" of quality posts; in other words, it's often easier to bang out a couple words quickly than to put the time into developing a thought.

In light of that,we're bringing back the old HRAOP award. That stands for Honorary Rack Award for Outstanding Post, and any moderator who deems a post to be extraordinarily well-written, one that just "nails it" ... or one whereyou go "Man, that's exactly how I feel; only I didn't say it that well!" may attach the award to the bottom of that post.

I remember my first several years here; I had fellow posters blowing by me in post count, but I was waaaaaay more proud (and still am) of the six HRAOP awards I garnered as opposed to merely being the first to 1,000.

Here's a current example just posted within the last couple days that I feel serves as a perfect example of what I'm referring to; there are many, but this one sticks out in my mind. The author was responding to the question, "What would you consider a buck of a lifetime?":

It's definitely more than just the size of the rack. It's the hours you've logged glassing fields, staring at topo maps andtalking to your hunting partners. It's the rain-soaked clothing, the miles on your boots, the sweat in your hat - it's your fingernails chewed into the meat,the gunmetal on your release worn to silver. It's aboutall the people who said you were nuts for hunting through a downpour - certifiably insane fordriving a half hour after work just to change clothes in the car and hunt for 30 minutes...

It's about going into overtime with a week of archery season to go and your tag feeling ever-so-empty, moving stands, re-hanging, relocating, thinking, relocating some more, and finally pulling the trigger.

That's what brings me back every year. Mynext buck is always my buck of a lifetime. - Quiksilver
Here's what it will look like...

If you see one of these at the bottom of your post... congratulations! We will be judicious in the awarding of these, so that they stay "special" but at the same time we will absolutely not play favorites or be stingy with them.

Good posting, and I look forward to awarding many HRAOPs!!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Awesome idea, Greg.

I really hope that this will be enough incentive for folks to put a bit more thought into at least a small portion of the things they post. I realize that a lot of folks are at work while they surf the boards and because of that have little time to type out well written, well thought out posts. Hopefully though this will change at least for some of the threads that have more of a debate style of posting rather than the usual friendly banter.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 PM

That's an outstanding idea. I think it will definately work. That example that you found was great.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's a great idea. I've been on several other forums were members get caught up in the number of posts. Sure they might have racked up 1000+ posts in only a few months but if you look at them, most of their posts are just garbage and the only reason they post is to up their count. But then, you notice the members whose post counts are also high but you also notice the quality of their posts. (and BTW, I'm not condemning the fun posts....they should always be a part of any site!)

I'm all for this idea.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Good thought from a vet who has been around the block. . .I mean, around the website for a loooooong time. How many name changes?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Whatever, just like getting a little gold star on your paper from the teacher in first grade. And honestly, who's the judge of what is a good post and what is not? I didn't realize this was a graded exercise. AND frankly, I don't think it should be. You all know it's going to come down to a couple of things favorites and writing ability. And yes, I'm serious about favorites. We've all seen it and know it's there in everything but especially on this board. I find the mods anything but impartial. I've found some to be great, some to be vindictive and some to just plain be incompetent. And I assume that's our judges. Nope, I don't need a deers head at the bottom of my post as a stamp of approval(or disapproval) Honestly, sometimes you're into our post too much as it is. We do not need a moderator judging committee. Thank you very much.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Davidmil on this one .The mods have been a real joke lately.
Calhunter & Tazman on the hunting & politics forum should be used as examples on how moderate a forum. Great Guys!!!

Just last night there was a thread about a world record buck for sale on ebay. A canned hunt. This is a hot topic with Troy Gentry being the latest in a long line of fools that think it is all right to kill an animal in a pen.
Guess what that thread like many others has gone to the dark side.

Its hard to be creative if you are not allowed to post your true thoughts.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever, just like getting a little gold star on your paper from the teacher in first grade. And honestly, who's the judge of what is a good post and what is not? I didn't realize this was a graded exercise. AND frankly, I don't think it should be. You all know it's going to come down to a couple of things favorites and writing ability. And yes, I'm serious about favorites. We've all seen it and know it's there in everything but especially on this board. I find the mods anything but impartial. I've found some to be great, some to be vindictive and some to just plain be incompetent. And I assume that's our judges. Nope, I don't need a deers head at the bottom of my post as a stamp of approval(or disapproval) Honestly, sometimes you're into our post too much as it is. We do not need a moderator judging committee. Thank you very much.
Can I nominate this post for HRAOP?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

David, I knew you wouldn't like the thread as I was typing it (yep, actually thought of you as I was composing it... ), because as I remember it, you didn't like the idea back then, either. I do understand your reasonings -- as stated above -- although I've always considered you one of the site's better posters with an incredible wealth of knowledgeto bring to the table... I had also mentioned when I brought up the idea to the fellow mods that this was not going to change the posting methods of any of our members who had been around for a long time; it was more to incentify the newer guys who sometimes tend to get caught up in merely running their post count up.

Do certain people become favorites and we (we being anyone, mod or not) lose a bit of our impartiality? Yep, absolutely. It's one of the things we studied in journalism school. Here, on HNI, I think it's for a variety of reasons: Someone can accurately and conscisely sum up a thought in such a manner that leaves the reader actually thinking "Man, I wish I'd written that..." Obviously too, there's those posters who share similar values. In life, people attract to others with like mindsets.

Having said that, though -- I will do my best to remain impartial in affixing an HRAOP award to anyone's post. It will be solely on the basis of merit, and I do think that it may serve to help some of the newer members be cognizant of trying to put value into their posting -- to contribute -- and not to merely see who can reach "life member" first among their buddies.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

The mods have been a real joke lately.
Thanks bawanajim, its appreciated. Ya know, I used to be in the hunting/politics forum all of the time many, many moons ago. Perhaps I should start showing up there again and see how funny I can be.

Quick Reply: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.