Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Thanks for getting us back on topic, duc...

Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job of conveying the intentions of this ... It's not mean to elicit volumes of prose and have everyone scrambling for a thesaurus...

If you go back to the "buck of a lifetime" thread started by Scott, er... buckeyebowhunter, and read through the posts, you'll see when I came to quiksilver's I added a "Great post" notation at the bottom. I think we've all read a post on here that elicited that feeling. Rather than quoting it, putting it at the top of a new post, and then feeling responsible to speak to that post as we usually do, I simply went in and wrote "Great post". Aside from not wanting to highlight it, copy, hit the quote button, hit the paste key... the thread was also a couple pages past that point when I got caught up on it. It would have detracted from the discussion at that point.

The HRAOP award is merely an extension of that idea: a symbol, if you will, of the words "Great post." The purpose of this thread was to explain its signifigance in the event you come across one in someone's post. That's all.

If the concept causes too much consternation, we can scrap the whole idea and I can always just write "great post" at the bottom in the future when I feel led to... If it doesn't interfere with the flow of the discussion, and is appropriate at that point in time, I can always do the old method of cut and paste ...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

To everyone concerned, it's not a big deal. Hell when I handed them out long before Greg became a member I handed them out on single word replies as well as paragraphs. It has nothing to do with the person, the amount of words within the thread/reply, just that it's a "great post"...2 words or 100...doesn't matter. It doesn't even need to have proper grammer....it just have to have meaning...understand...

Really, just forget all about it and when you see one, think...cool, great post, it might be worth reading, it was worth awarding.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Copper, thanks for the post.

there are more then a few people that use this forum as a tool. They ask advice about their bow set up or a problem they are having with landowner ect. How insightful can you get when you are looking for advice?
Yep, you bet. There's no way you could package up the information I've learned here over the years from just about so many people I couldn't begin to name them all. I've learned tons of technical advice as well, on everything from the complex to mundane...

You'll also notice I only posted this thread in the Bowhuting Forum and the Deer Hunting Forum. I purposely did not put it in the Technical or Gear Review forums because of this point: "How insightful can you get when you are looking for advice?" I agree 100%.

And God knows every thread will not elicit great thoughts, nor can they in most cases. Seeing one of those little rack awards was more of a rarity than anything years ago. If we tagged a few posts with them here and there in the future, it would change nothing about the way everyone interacts here.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:57 AM

Cooper31 Not everyone is on here to get their post count up and it would be ashame to lose someone who really just wants to learn and ask questions. Not after all that being said it is an eye opener for those folks looking for a discusion on there topic.Great idea I just hope it doen't effect the wrong people
I think that Cooper brought up an interesting point.^^^^

Greg, thanks for the reply. I agree that was anexcellent post by Quicksilver. It was very well thought out and I understand thats along the lines of what your'e looking for. He deserved an award.BTW: I was not bashing you about your Journalism skills. (Hope you didn't think I was)

Rob, I'm tracking now bro. It's really not a bad idea. Just hope that it doesn't rub some the wrong way like I almost let it do me.

Thanks for clarifying and I'm done.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

it's not a big deal.
Agreed. Though my propensity for being a tad verbose may have had something to do with the length of the initial post in this thread, it was just a "Hey, this is what this means if you see this thing somewhere" kind of deal...

Maybe we need a plant to sneak in and attach an HRAOP to this Farbman character... THEN everyone would really hear a call to action! [8D]
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand thats along the lines of what your'e looking for.
Allow me, if you will, to even clarify this statement -- because I think it goes hand in hand with Copper's point he was making...

It's not that we're necessarily LOOKING for posts like that to be made by everyone; it's more of a reward for having done so. There's a big difference.

One view centers on expectations and standards being set, and if that is what is perceived, then -- Yes, Copper's right: Someone may feel intimidated to post. That view is certainly contrary to what I believe.

The other view doesn't center on expecations and "standards" as such, but focuses on a thought process along these lines: "I wasn't necessarily looking for something to capture a thought or idea as well as that post did, but -- Boy, now that I've read it... He nailed it! Great post!"
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am glad to see this brought back. It's a great idea.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I will make known that I am not the smartest person around, but from what I am taking on this is there is no gain whatsoever from getting an HRAOP nomination. No money, no freebies, nothing, you get a set of antlers posted. I take this as the mods found it informative. Whats the big deal? I like to read informative and well put posts myself if I read it and don't find it to my liking I will get by with being willing to disagree.

I think this is a great website and this to me is a case of stirring the pot, its a set of ANTLERS take it for what its worth. I think if you view this site long enough you know the some of the posters that post informative stuff. Ipay no attention to post count, anyone can rack up post by posting "nice buck", "where ya huntin", "hope ya get him", 'hope you find him" and so on. My post count of about a 100 is small, yet I view the forums regularly. I just am not a good talker, but I like to read peoples OPINIONS. I take nothingfrom here as rock solid, its hunting anything can and will happen. Just my opinion, but I like the idea and commend the moderators for doing a sometimes tiring job.

Chris

Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone is a hater these days. Call me a suck up or whatever, but the mods do a heck'uva job. Have I had issues with them at one time or another? Sure, we've disagreed. But I've spent countless hours, days maybe even weeks on here, having discussions with people. Can you go that long, talking to someone, anyone, without a few disagreements??
I think an award for a good post is cool. I may read an award winningpost that perhaps wouldn't normally interest me. Maybe even learn something in the process.

The Staff could give away hunts and a million dollars and someone would complain about the hunt and that the money wasn't tax free.. Keep doing what your doing, it's worked for years and even the old complainers still log on everyday!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Folks are willing to debate (argue) about just about anything.
What the hell is the big deal? You make a good point, make it a good read for the public and represent hunting in a positive light and BINGO, you get a little pat on the back. Some of you act like there will be a victim in all this. If you don't want a "goodie sticker", make a note in your signature and you will be spared to horrible embarrassment.
Some get their posts deleted and some get their membership suspended.
I can live with a pat on the back once in awhile.
Who is gonna quit visiting here just because they didn't get one? If I never get one I'm still coming here 7 days a week.

Quick Reply: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.