Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

I like the motive behind the suggestion, yet, it does smack of being 'graded'. Also, in the past, when I do write a thoughtful response, 2 things occur. 1--many complain that they don't like to read more than 5 words(ADD maybe?)2--most don't grasp the concept, due toa predisposed attitude of already having their mind set in a certain direction anyway, or maybe the inability to combine logic with reason. Now, a question--what about well thought out and written posts that are discerning,correct in their premises, yet go against the 'flow'? How will they be looked upon?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

The mods have been a real joke lately.
Thanks bawanajim, its appreciated. Ya know, I used to be in the hunting/politics forum all of the time many, many moons ago. Perhaps I should start showing up there again and see how funny I can be.
Did you delete the thread I'm talking about? No I don't think you did .

I would of added you name to the good guy list but I thought it might sound to much like I was suckin up.

Justin case you stop by don't be delete happy and every thing will be just fine.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

It will be solely on the basis of merit, and I do think that it may serve to help some of the newer members be cognizant of trying to put value into their posting
OK, so we're already making it a "New Guy" award. We already have a few dozen rules that I'm sure will be pointed out to them over and over. I've said my piece and told it doesn't matter what I think so why say anything else except... "Whatever".

Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

[quote see who can reach "life member" first among their buddies.
][/quote]

Do away with the post count........problem solved
BTW, I'm an old timer here #76 to join this board and I concur with David.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

P.S. Rickmur... don't do away with the post count until I reach 11,000(again)[8D][8D]

P.P.S. Don't take it personnal Greg. I find you good at what you do and enjoy your participation. Just telling how I feel. I'm done.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the motive behind the suggestion, yet, it does smack of being 'graded'. Also, in the past, when I do write a thoughtful response, 2 things occur. 1--many complain that they don't like to read more than 5 words(ADD maybe?)2--most don't grasp the concept, due toa predisposed attitude of already having their mind set in a certain direction anyway, or maybe the inability to combine logic with reason. Now, a question--what about well thought out and written posts that are discerning,correct in their premises, yet go against the 'flow'? How will they be looked upon?
Good question, manuman. This idea is not meant to compel our whole community into a groundswell of heightened intellectual activity.Truthfully, if it can stand as a simple reminder that quality is just as important around here as quantity, then the HRAOP will have served its purpose -- just as it did many years ago. Here's a good example: Davidmil has plainly stated his dislike for the concept. That's fine; obviously, he's entitled to his opinion. On the other hand, when I was a "newbie" here and recognized in small part through the HRAOP concept that quality posts were more appreciated than the ephemeral (seemingly everywhere) one-liners, it incentified me to put more thought -- at least every once in a while -- into my posts.

Now, having said that. We've highlighted David's dislike of the concept, and how I liked it. But both of us became valued contributors to this board over the years. Here's the point: Some people could give a hoot about having a little "attaboy" affixed to the bottom of one of their posts. Obviously, this concept is not for them, and I'm ok with that; those were not the persons we were trying to persuade anyway (... and again, some don't even need encouragement or to be persuaded to make quality posts, e.g., Davidmil. Even though he dislikes the concept, he still makes great posts.) The concept is for those who appreciate the "attaboys." Dale Carnegie wrote in his famous book How To Win Friends and Influence People that it's always easier to attract flies with honey than it is with gall. In other words, doing something nice for someone to encourage a behaviour is a timeless principle.

What does any of that have to do with your question, manuman? Here's what: For those who are not predisposed to having to exercise their brain beyond reading five or more words in one of your posts... Well, those just simply aren't the people we're trying to reach. And I have a feeling they weren't the type of people you were trying to reach with your post, either.

On to your second point.Obtaining a master's degree in the field of composition --and specifically rhetoric (think Socrates and Plato) -- necessitates valueing an opposing viewpoint. Just because their platform of ideas is different doesn't make their presentation any less worthy. I respect thought-process, not just a like mindset.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

P.P.S. Don't take it personal Greg. I find you good at what you do and enjoy your participation. Just telling how I feel.
Absolutely didn't in any shape or form... See my above post I was writing while you posted that. If we all thought the same, this would be a boring world indeed.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Dale Carnegie wrote in his famous book How To Win Friends and Influence People that it's always easier to attract flies with honey than it is with gall
I took the course ....... TWICE!!! LOL
and before someone says it, NO, I didn't fail it the first time.LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, so we're already making it a "New Guy" award.
I actually anticipate giving it to more of the tenured people around here, for some reason... (See quiksilver's post as an example.)

I'm hoping it will influence the new guys here though to strive to earn their own.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Dale Carnegie wrote in his famous book How To Win Friends and Influence People that it's always easier to attract flies with honey than it is with gall
Who the hell wants to attarct FLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Your turn to earn the respect of your fellow posters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.