Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Try this

Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Try this

larry may do the touch pt, i didn't pay attention to that watching him shoot. we've got a fellow here with even better form than larry - of course they are buddies - and we talked this over the other day - andhis pt is also that you should have no idea what happens. the pt is that a conscious follow thru, or any action performed consciously after release creates something called 'framing the shot'. basically an archer should have no idea what the bow does, or their arm does, or their release hand does after the shot. if you don't know when the release will fire, how could you possibly prepare to do something when it does?its already finished - and it surprised you. if you execute properly, your release hand won't move enough to get to a touch pt.shooting bt, there should not be any more tension created on the string than there is when you acheive full draw position. pulling thru the shot is another method of shooting.
i don't think any of this is possible with a wrist strap that is holding some of the tension, and i also wonder if bt can be executed properly at 70# by me, or most others. i shoot my 2 finger very well with my 70# sb, but with the 60# consti i'm using true back tension. its a lot harder to cheat a 2 finger, but even so w/ the 70# bow i've got a little pulling thru going on also - which i consider cheating - and i'm not meaning to do it, i just do it i think because of the added wt. working on it though. with the 60# bow, i don't cheat at all and i have no idea what any of me does at the arrows release. but that's me and how i'm being taught. you're winning everything you enter, and i'd guess you could shoot me under the table - so what do i know? (you probably are more dedicated also).
Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gib,
I agree w/ you, i guess what i consider my follow thru is just an unconcious motion. In otherwords, not trying to watch the arrow. Mostly its a feeling. I can tell whenthe shot is good. It suprises me and i stay focused on the the target the entire time. Its almost as if i "will" the arrow to go into the bullseye. My mind is focused on the targetat all times.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gibblet you are exactly right and when shooting properly how can one control anything once the string is released. In that minute time frame the bow, the body simply does what it does however and he can correct me if I'm wrong, he continues the shot "Post arrow release" which in reality means nothing because the arrow is gone....it's more a mental practice put into muscle memory which has no bearing what so ever on the arrow because it's already in the target....remember, shooting a bow is 90% mental if not more...a shot is made or missed in the mind first, the body follows suite.

I've actually never read someone putting what you said down in typing and I hope more get the chance to read it and improve their shooting ability. Course, I don't read books either.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:29 PM

If you are shooting a rifle with a scope and the cross hairs get blurry but the target doesn't you don't have the scope adjusted properly. With a scope the target and cross hairs are on the same plane, they should both be in focus at the same time. It's like looking at a picture of your target with cross hairs on it.

I don't think your reticle is adjusted properly. Or if you are using a scope with fixed parallax you may be using too much magnification for the distance you are shooting.

Paul
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I mean to focus on details in the target and not focus my attention on where the crosshairs are in relation to the target.

I just sorta let the crosshairs become a blur.

I've always found it hard to focus on target and crosshairs. Never been able to do that with dozens of rifle scope combinations over the years.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

larry may do the touch pt, i didn't pay attention to that watching him shoot. we've got a fellow here with even better form than larry - of course they are buddies - and we talked this over the other day - andhis pt is also that you should have no idea what happens. the pt is that a conscious follow thru, or any action performed consciously after release creates something called 'framing the shot'. basically an archer should have no idea what the bow does, or their arm does, or their release hand does after the shot. if you don't know when the release will fire, how could you possibly prepare to do something when it does?its already finished - and it surprised you. if you execute properly, your release hand won't move enough to get to a touch pt.shooting bt, there should not be any more tension created on the string than there is when you acheive full draw position. pulling thru the shot is another method of shooting.
i don't think any of this is possible with a wrist strap that is holding some of the tension, and i also wonder if bt can be executed properly at 70# by me, or most others. i shoot my 2 finger very well with my 70# sb, but with the 60# consti i'm using true back tension. its a lot harder to cheat a 2 finger, but even so w/ the 70# bow i've got a little pulling thru going on also - which i consider cheating - and i'm not meaning to do it, i just do it i think because of the added wt. working on it though. with the 60# bow, i don't cheat at all and i have no idea what any of me does at the arrows release. but that's me and how i'm being taught. you're winning everything you enter, and i'd guess you could shoot me under the table - so what do i know? (you probably are more dedicated also).
I would be curious to see what Larry does in his process and if he finishes with a touch point.......I have the flip through animated part in his book that shows his execution and I will check this out next time i have a chance. When I say I finish the shot with a touch point though, what I mean by that is I did enough work on the blank bale to make that subconsious. The only time I begin to get consious about this or anything other than an X ring is when my shooting starts to get inconsistent. Then I go to the blank bale, and consiously focus on my shot process and see what is working and what is not working and then check my shot process list that is taped to the back of my riser. As far as shooting people under the table........I don't know about that. I pick great numbers in hunter class 3D and can shoot 4-5 consecutive shots very well so I do great in 3D and field archery on the local level, butI am still an average indoor and FITA guy and suffer in the repetition part. I still have some work to go with repetition, rhythm, and timing when I am not onthe blank bale. I hope to improve on this dramatically over this winter and the upcoming indoor season.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 PM

me too bro. tom is going to work with me indoors this winter. i love bt. its so jedi.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

As my eyes get older the pins become more blurred. The target and pin don't line up as they once did. Focusing on the pin the target is clear.A small black dot stays one shape, but looking at the black dot makes the pin double vision. Have toyed with the idea of a clarifier. Don't need to yet.

It's not an uncommon way to shoot. Have read of others who do it as well. Actually they explained it to me.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:16 PM

hey nodog, have the pins ever vanished on you?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not on purpose. I have lost myself in the target though. I saw the shot in slow motion before it happened and woke up after it had hit it's intended target. It was like I let another person inside me have control. That was over 35 years ago and my target was the back of another kids head. The bow was a toy of sorts, but not. Never forgot it or the feeling. Put a bump on his head, nothing more. Have shot that way since but it's not something that I practise doing. It's pure primal instinct.

Have been a freak ever since about pointing any weapon at a person because I know what can happen. The idea needs to be so repulsive that just the start of doing something like that causes a convulsion of sorts. Should never even be joked about. Someone would have had to shake me to get me to stop that shot. I would have never heard them if they just screamed.

Why do you ask? Have been enjoying reading what you are learning.Good stuff!Mentioned earlier I shot without a front site at all. Does that count.Needs work though. Lots of work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.