Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Try this

Old 08-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Try this

I'm going to give this a shot tonight. I've also heard of this before. Lately my target has been very fuzzy. I also get eye fatigue very quickly.

Tom
Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 AM

I have got into this habit form shooting the traditional bow. Once I switched back to the compound and pins I found my groups much better and also my confidence in the field

Tim
Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I just went through this in my head......and I do what you're talking about.

I honestly don't ever remember focusing on a pin.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Focusing mentally first, and visually second on the spot you want to hit isthe appropriate way to be aiming according to everything I have ever been taught. Just an analagy.............

If you drive down the road trying to stay in the middle by looking at the yellow line in reference to your fender........you will dart all over trying to make micro adjustments to keep you straight. Now focus on the road 100-200 yards in front of you and allow yourself to subconsiously bring you to that point. It works much better and will allow you to maintain a MUCH straighter line.

Thisis why I am in the process of trying to develop very lightly tinted scope dots that allow you to stare through the dot at the X for target bow setups. I have a few already made but am trying to perfect the adhesive so it won't come off if you get outside in the rain. It is amazing how often you can hit the X on a vegas target when the dot/pin isn't even close to it when the bow goes off if you focus consciously on the X. It just finds it's way there anyhow when you do this right.

As said by Mike Cooper..........

The eye follows the mind, and the arm follows the eye. Focus with your mind and the arrow will follow.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

And as many of us know through shooting the pin doesn't necessarily have to be on the mark to have the arrow hit it's mark...it's amazing when it happens but like the quote Rick James has above, your mind will make it so....
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Good thread.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really only use my pins for yardage adjustment. The pins are a "documented reference point" for me. I guesstimate the range, use my pins to "get close" then forget the pins and focus on the target and form then following through. When my mental game is on i can drive tacs. 4" groups at 55 yrds. I like to walk all over my range and play "horse" w/ my cousin when we shoot. This is a good challenge and forces you to start shooting instinctively. Last time we played we attempted a 68 yrd shot. (only knew that after the shot and we grabbed a range finder). My arrow hit dead center of the target.... I was happy.

For me its "all mental". I guess what helped me was starting w/ a long bow back at the ripe ol age of 8. No sites, just form and instinct. I still shoot a recurve frequently to keep my skills sharp. It also makes for a great way to shoot geese After shooting trap in a few amature leagues i found it to easy to kill geese. And your only allowed one a day so why not try it w/ a bow. (Unsuccessful to date 0 for 2) Next week is resident goose season, so i plan on trying it again.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM

ed, there is no such thing as follow thru.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

ed, there is no such thing as follow thru.
John,

DidLarry teach you to finish your shotswith your release hand? I don't believe in follow through as in the "don't drop your bow arm" philosophy, however I am a very strong believer in finishing the shot and pulling through with release hand to a touch point on the deltoid. This is how I have been coached and is something I have discussed in depth with a few of the pro staffers in my area that are some of the better indoor and fita shooters in the country.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting bow, I would always consentrate on the pin.
I read a magazine article giving tips for better rifle, bow and shotgun shooting.

This tip was one I never heard, believe it or not.

It said when shooting a rifle offhand, to focus on the target and not the crosshairs. When you focus on the crosshairs, you mentally try to compensate for the movement of them as you try to aim. It said to just focus on the target and let the crosshairs get a little blurry.

Anyway, I tried it shooting a rifle and it worked. It almost seemed like I couldn't miss. I use to do lots of shooting in my younger days and I was pretty good. I just shot alot and went through brick after brick of .22 shells to keep in tune.

I just recently applied this to bowshooting and man, what a difference it made. I use to shoot bow all the time and went to all the local 3-D shoots at the area sportsmen's clubs. I always just consentrated on follow through but focused on my pin.

Now with the followthrough and focusing on the target instead, I'm really doing much better. Just wish I'd done this years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.