Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things that have scared you while hunting.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Things that have scared you while hunting.

These are stories of things that made your hair stand up on end. It could be close calls with dangerous game, a bobcat scream in the dark, or like on another forum a guy found a murder victim. Let's hear them.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Things that have scared you while hunting.

The Dark... HAHA just kidding
Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Walking in one night and just stop on the edge of my bean field. For some reason I thought something was in front of me. Sure enough I click on my light, and what do I see cocked and ready to shoot,a big old skunk. My Dad saw my light bouncing as I hold butt across the bean field.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'll tell you a story that made me jump about 2 feet in the air while scouting last year.
It was your average hot and sweaty afternoon and I was already just a tad bit jumpy after seeing a couple of snakes (I just don't care for the critters) as I scooted along a grassy riverbed. The mesquitoes were just sucking me about dry at the time and I was using a small branch toknock down the cob webs through the dense foliage. I happened to be at a place that got extremely dense and I just knew I would be jumping a few bedded deer in a matter of seconds. My stride nowturned into a slow and deliberate creep, trying not to scare up that moster buck I had been dreaming about all summer. AsI slowlypositioned myself to take a most careful step forward I suddenly, and without any sort of warning, felt an electronic shock in my side that made me jump and loose my breath. It just had to be one of those andaconda snakes that can eat you in one gulp. As my feet came back to earth again my brain processed the information and told me that I will, in fact, live to tell this dreadedstory. Yes, it was my cell phone that I had turned to 'vibrate' mode. My wife was just checking to make sure I was Okay out on that dangerous hunting groung.
Okay, it's not the story that you were probably looking for, but you just had to ask!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I were coon hunting close to 20 years ago. We were walking along a creek, and I saw something in the light that wascaught in a branch about chest high.....looked like a newborn baby. I FREAKED OUT!! ( I was about 13 or so) Come to find out...it was a doll lol. We think the creek flooded and it got caught in the tree.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM

A black bear snapping its jaws in the dark from a mountain laurel thicket about 10 yards in front of me--carrying a bow, and the wild hogs charging me from a palmetto thicket in the dark .
Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunting outside of DC I expect a body.

I enjoy getting in sometimes and hour early. On the darkest morning, I always wonder if today is the day the sun doesn't rise. It always does.

A friend of mine did have a screech owl about 5' from him spout off after settling in. I think he had to clean his shorts for somereason
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever walked up and had a covey of quail fly up from around you?
Some have and `I`m sure they no what I am talking about. for the one`s haven`t ..you won`t forget it!!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: RTA47

Have you ever walked up and had a covey of quail fly up from around you?
Some have and `I`m sure they no what I am talking about. for the one`s haven`t ..you won`t forget it!!
Quail and grouse both get me at least once a year! Man do they make a racket taking off!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Spike

A few years back I was hunting black bear in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I had a couple cubs come in to the bait pile and start eating. I could see their big 400lb mama walking around behind me in the thick brush. Earlier I had put the bait out when I walked into the stand and must have gotten molasses on my boots. Well little cubs are pretty curious and decided to follow the molasses smell up the tree I was in. It got about five or six feet below my stand when it luckily headed back down. I was pretty close to pissing off mama by whacking one of her little ones on the head with a bow.

Quick Reply: Things that have scared you while hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.