Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things that have scared you while hunting.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:07 PM

Default RE: Things that have scared you while hunting.

I was on my way to my treestand one morning in Northern Michigan and could barely see through the dark that a black bear was heading right at me with his head down. So, I did what any logical man would do, I ran like the wind until I got to my treestand. I have seen close to a dozen bear while hunting in Michigan and they always make me shake in my boots.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I've seen a lot of bobcats and been nervous when you see a pack of coyotes on top of ya.. ButI tell ya what.. I was leaving one night and one of the farmers Bulls decided he wanted to play chase I guess.. That darn thing nearly got me a couple times, the whole time I'm running backwards yelling at him and still holding tight to my bow.. lol
The farmer thought it was funny and said that same bull had popped him up in the air before..
I try to stay away from that one from now on.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

only quail so far
Old 08-24-2006, 07:35 PM

I got jumped by a Armadilla. Them things hiss like a pissed off cotton mouth. I had to pee so bad after that then I started laughing about it when it got light.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I had a big a$$ owl land right beside me in a treestand right at dark. I mean, this dude was like 2ft tall or something. I looked him right in his yellow eyes. he was in the limb about 1ft from my face. I bout fell out of my stand. Heck, i had to end my hunt about 10 minutes early just to make that dang owl fly. he bout scared me to death, i dont know why, but im scared of owls.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM

last year i had a wolf howl about 100 yards away from me.... there was a dense fog up that morning so needless to say i kinda stayed in the tree...

(different story)

I was sitting in a different stand. i was watching this owl fly around catching mice and what not... when he disappeared.... he came back out and was flying closer to my stand ... i lost sight of him when he was flying under my field of view.... as i looked over the edge of the stand he was right there and ready to land on the deer stand... scared me so bad i almost went to the bathroom in my pants... lol
Old 08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I belonged to a club that had a tremdous wild pack of dogs one year. We shot 23 of them off our 1800 acres. The pig farmer next door got 20 with poison after loosing 40 pigs. Anyway, they were rather mean. Deer killing machines. They never sounded when running deer. Pure predators. I put my 14 year old nephew in a stand one time. I told him when he heard me honk, to get down and walk out. He was only 150 yards off the road. I honked. A few minutes ....nothing. I honked again. I got out and yelled. He yelled for me to bring a gun which I had in the truck. He had already come down when I honked but got run back up the tree by the dogs. THey wouldn't leave him until I showed up with the gun. Just as I caught a glimpse of the first dog they lit out. I missed. A couple weeks later my hunting buddy had wounded a deer with the bow. We were tracking a very poor trail. We'd gone a lot further than we would have if it had been a good hit. Anyway, we went down into this little creek. When we came up the other side we were confronted by 6 dogs that started circling left and right, growling and snarling. They weren't backing off. They had cut the trail of the wounded deer. We had picked up their tracks in some sand just before the creek. We shot two with the bow and that made them back off but they wouldn't leave.They figured it was their blood trail. We stuck together trying to get close enough for a couple more shots but never could. They finally on cue turned and loped off leaving their two dead buddies. We lost the blood, probably from looking over our shoulder.

I had a pack of coyotes one night after dark just seem to taunt me until I got out of the deep woods across this beaver pond in the Adirondacks. I started down the tree and they started howling 75 yards away. I went right back up. Found my flashlight, talked to my dead Uncle Ted. Yelled a little and they moved away. I walked faster and faster when I got down. The serenaded me all the way until i crossed back over a beaver pond and got closer to the road. Just unnerving not being able to see them and have them move when you did. I put distance between us, but they didn't get spooked at all with my Uncle Ted stuff. A week before another bowhunter hunter in the same woods had to return with a gun to claim a deer he'd already gutted. He had gone to get his truck, when he came back the coyotes had claimed his deer and wouldn't back off. That's when he raced them to his truck for the gun. When he came back one shot sent them packing.

We got spooked a lot hunting in Vietnam.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two things scared me last year because I keep the light off when walking to my stand in the dark.

1. A 15 minute walk through standing corn at night without a flashlight. Your mind starts playing tricks on you and you start feeling like you're never going to see the end of the corn. It's worse when you have to walk across the rows instead of with the rows. You can't see anything and it feels like it's never going to end.

2. Walking to my treestand without the light and I almost stepped on a porcupine. It scared the crap out of me!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

myself
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckhuntinkg

last year i had a wolf howl about 100 yards away from me.... there was a dense fog up that morning so needless to say i kinda stayed in the tree...

(different story)

I was sitting in a different stand. i was watching this owl fly around catching mice and what not... when he disappeared.... he came back out and was flying closer to my stand ... i lost sight of him when he was flying under my field of view.... as i looked over the edge of the stand he was right there and ready to land on the deer stand... scared me so bad i almost went to the bathroom in my pants... lol
Friggen close ups with owls will freak you out for sure dude! Thats the worse ive ever been scared while hunting. I hate owls anyways. [:@]

Quick Reply: Things that have scared you while hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.