Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things that have scared you while hunting.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Things that have scared you while hunting.

ORIGINAL: RTA47

Have you ever walked up and had a covey of quail fly up from around you?
Some have and `I`m sure they no what I am talking about. for the one`s haven`t ..you won`t forget it!!
A covey of quail flying up on me happens all the time! You pray as you walk to your stand that it doesn't happen. I had a buck walk up behind me one time, and with my back toward the buck, he gave a loud snort from about 5 yards. Scared the pee out of me!

I also was turkey hunting one time and a snake slithered between me and the tree I was sitting against. A snake at your butt isn't a good thing...I assure you! I flew off the ground...my gun going one direction and some of my turkey calls going the other....slapping my butt, just praying he wasn't attached to me! during all this, my hunting buddy was walking from a distance, saw the whole thing and thought I had mental issues. A story to remember!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Spike

Another one that came to mind. Dragging a deer out of the woods in the middle of the night without a weapon and hearing a pack of wolves start howling a few hundred yards away. That'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Hunting hogs in texas, my friend was being picked up from his stand by a jeep. Well as we walked up this dirt road, he saw a hog that was on her way. She charged him and he jumped into the jeep and about a secod later the hog ran into the side of the jeep. I ended up killing that hog the next day and it weighed 180lbs on the hoof so it probably would have hurt a little if he got hit.[&:]
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Settling into my stand about 45 minutes before first light. Get all situated and put my head back against the tree to wait for light. Everything is nice and calm. I'm enjoying the peacefullness. Then I hear some scratching from above me. A racoon climbed down from above me right over my face and down to the ground. I actually urinated in my pants [8D]
Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ain't skreered a nuthin cept soap n water and then only if ya mix em!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

While bowhunting elk last season........on my way back it had grown completely dark and a buddy on the radio said a bear was headed in my direction. We had seen several bears in the vicinity during the week. I was still a mile away from meeting up with the buddy, and since carrying my bow, GPS and flashlight was enough and more necessary to carry, I turned the radio off and put it into a pocket. I'd forgotten a large rock pile and had to cross it very slowly and carefully in the dark. In the meantime the thought of a bear being nearby started putting thoughts into my head. At one point during my ascent up the mountain I heard a branch snap behind me which scared the bejeeus out of me, and looking at my GPS I was still 400 yards away from our designated meeting place. From that point on I was talking out loud to myself or to whatever might be nearby until finally seeing his light. Funny thing what total darkness in a strange enviroment with critters around can do to your mind.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

The first time I had to go out by myself in the dark scared me.

Then there was the time I was sitting on a stool during shotgun deer season and a tree within a couple yards of me just up and fell over. Felt like the earth was blowing up.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

While walking to my stand I heard a loud crashing sound. I thought I was being attacked by a bear. I swung around and took aim only to see a tree coming my way. Fortunately for me it got wedged in the fork of dead tree trunk.

And mostly I get the heck scared out of me by the growing shadows that seem to lunge towards you . As your flashlight cast shadows from unseen branches and brush. Sometimes this happens 2-3 times on my way to my am stand.

I also had what I'm assuming to be an owl crash into my chest an hour before daylight.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Last year I had a Bat fly into my chest and then got stuck inside my jacket - this was at 0-dark-30 in the mourning.

the guy I was hunting with said he heard me scream like a little girl from 500 yds away.........

Those of you that know me better, are probably wondering why I would hunt with such a lier
Old 08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Early one morning bow hunting on some public property,I had to cross a small section of swamp to get to my favorite spot. The same instant my foot hit the muck a turkey roosting in a nearby tree decided to take flight.
I ended up dropping to my hands and knees in the muck, I think I invented a few new cuss words that morning.

Quick Reply: Things that have scared you while hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.