Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst Phrase by Hunters

Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Worst Phrase by Hunters

The one I absolutely hate is, "If it's brown it's down." I think this one just sounds sloppy and/or careless as well as this one, "I took a pot shot." The latter basically means the person took a wild shot (usuallya 3rdand long shot....a hail mary). This one doesn't fly with me b/c there's always a chance that the 'pot shot' could connect and potentially wound game....which most likely will never be found b/c someone with mentality will never put the SERIOUS effort in to locate blood. Just my $.02
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Texas bullseye, thats one a hate! [:@]
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldnt say i hate it, but i really dont like it when people say they shot a "cull" or "management" buck. i can understand the deer may have inferior antlers, but i dont think thats any reason to detract from its majestic beauty as an individual deer. it somewhat reminds me of descriminating against people with disabilities.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me--its seeing a poor shot and the hunter says--" Good shot, I hit him good, he'll be down in a minute".

Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do ya start??? Some of the stuff that people say erks me to death. The following are my top 10.
[ol][*]Harvest...rather than kill[*]Management buck/cull buck[*]Shooter buck[*]Let him go so he can grow.[*]QDM[*]What do ya think he'll score?[*]I elected to pass on him[*]I elected to "take" him[*]Any phrase that contains ....dink or scrub.[*]The hunt all came together thanks to my(insert any overpriced peice of equiptment)[/ol]

Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know.....I've just never had a hard time with the "Harvest" thing.

MY Webster's dictionary list this as a definition for "harvest":

1) the quantity of a natural product gathered in a single season

I've said it before.....I supplemental feed the deer on my small tracts ....to keep them there. I put mineral licks in the ground.....I keep the trails cleared.....and I don't know....I guess I feel like I've done enough there to have 'cultivated' thedeer I have there.

I just don't have a problem with it......and I KNOW it sounds better than "killing" when speaking to the general populace.

Just my .o2.....

Jeff

Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 AM

I don't understand it when people say I saw a 8 pointer or a 10 pointer, but couldn't get a shot.....well, if you have time to count the points then you had time to take the shot. That is unless you are guessing or lying and if you are guessing then say I THINK he was a 8 pointer.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

buck knife:

I saw the SAME 8 pointer three times last year. I saw a small basket rack 6 likely 3 times, too. I saw another 6 maybe 4 or 5 times.

I came to full draw on the 8 pointer, once. I came to full draw on one of the 6's, too.

I passed on the SHOT, each time.....due to them being in a severe quartering away position. I don't find that to be far-fetched.

Jeff

Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, but....I hate it when someone says they 'harvest' a deer.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

"It acted like a buck"!

Most used when deer are running for cover and gender cannot be determined.

Quick Reply: Worst Phrase by Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.