Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unusual things you've seen or have happened to you while hunting

Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unusual things you've seen or have happened to you while hunting

This same thread was started *cough* on another forum *cough* and it was cool to read all the unusual things that people have seen while hunting. I'll start a couple of other similar threads as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 AM

Default RE: Unusual things you've seen or have happened to you while hunting

While hunting i saw a hawk swoop down and get some sort of critter about 20 yards away. I couldnt see what he got, i just saw the bird rustling up leaves.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 AM

last december while sitting in stand... i saw a solid white fox catch a squirrel infront of me, then while it was eating it, a hawk swooped down grabbed the fox and ate it infront of me. it made my day
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 PM

I think it was 3 seasons ago, I was sittin on my stand and caught some movement. I clipped on, and watched as a fat coyote stepped out about 30 yards directly to my left. She quickly slipped across my narrow shootin lane and 4 little pups were right behind her. I never had time for a shot. About 5 seconds later a group of crows spotted them. Those crows went absolutely crazy. I've never heard crows make that much noise. Also, the crows followed the yotes for about 100 yards, making that loud racket the whole time. I figured they were warning other critters. That's all I saw that day.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

While duck hunting I saw a hawk catch a duck and then began to pounce on it until it was dead.Once it was officially deadit jumped on and began ripping feathers off and had a feast.

Another weird thing happened at a deer check station. It was gun season and everyone was bringing in theirharvests. One guy pulled up and said "You aren't going to believe this but I shot a unicorn." He opened the tail gate and there was a deer with an arrow sticking out of his forehead. Apparently a few weeks earlier during archery season someone took a HORRIBLE shot and lodged an arrow into the skull of the deer.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM

txmarshmonkey: I had the same thing happen to me. I was turkey hunting in the spring and of a sudden I heard the crows start going off like crazy. Two seconds later, out runs a med size coyote. I took a shot at him as he was booking it with my shotgun and I thought I nailed him but I got up and he was running away. No blood, no hair or anything.....
Old 08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was bowhunting one afternoon late in the bow season. I was set up high (30') in a poplar tree overlooking a wild pear tree on the edge of a farm field. Across the field was a stand of mature oaks. For a good part of the afternoon I had heard the clucks of feeding turkeys in those oaks but hadn't seen anything. At one point I heard something and looking up I saw 6 turkeys flying low across the field. As they got to my side of the field they gained altitude and two landed in the tree with me and the rest in the trees around me. I froze for as long as I could trying to figure out how I could turn this situation to my advantage. Eventually one of the turkeys in the tree with me noticed me and took off, taking all the other turkeys but one hen with them. The hen was perched in the top of a pine about 40 yards away and she was eating pine nuts and stayed there for another 15 minutes.

I used to bowhunt a piece of land my uncle leased for grazing cattle. It was small meadows divided by fingers of trees and was packed with wildlife. One time while stalking from meadow to meadow looking for deer or turkey when I came across two red fox kits wrestling in the grass. I decided to see how close I could come to them and I walked right up to them. I even walked along a log they had been wrestling on and off of but they were too busy wrestling to take notice of me. It made me smile under my camo headnet.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to keep this at the top. I was hunting swampy land adjacent to a hog farm and next to me is a stand of pines about 25' tall. I'm watching the hardwoods and I hear a crash behind me. Turning I see a turkey vulturedoing cartwheels down one of the pines to the ground. Apparently he had tried to land on a limb too small, or one that had broken. I figured he was dead but he sat up and just stood there dazed for about 5 minutes before walking off. I wasimagining him looking around to see if anyone had seen him fall and then walking off like he had meant to be on the ground all along.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 PM

I was sitting in a duck blind out in a marsh, my first time duck hunting.Latemorning, after the flow of ducks and geese coming in had slowed down, we had been sitting there waiting for a bunch to come our way, trying to call them in. Things were going slow. I waswatching a hawk hunting along the marsh, but lost sight of him. All of a sudden, the hawk flies up over the front of the blind, about three feet from my face. I could see it's eyes staring at me as it came over, then soared up higher. I guess the hawk was just as surprised as I was. It was pretty cool.

Another time, I was pheasant hunting with the old man and another guy with his dogs. It was a slow day. Well at the edge of some woods, the younger, more energetic dog starts pointing pretty strong. We walk up, but can't see anything. As we come a little closer, we see that the dog is pointing at a dead blue jay. We had a pretty good laugh. The young ones think they know it all.