Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

I am just the opposite--I am rt handed and left eye dominat,shooting a gun and bow lh--as well as pool!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ahhhh. i guess do what ever is more comfortable for you then. what ever works.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Exoman

ORIGINAL: Northwind~

Do it the right way, get a left handed bow, and it will allow for better performance that if you shoot on the wrong side. It is the way to go, especially if you are getting a new bow. I don't have to worry about string slap. Rotate your shooting elbow out and you will be fine once you have the form down. But get the right bow man. Those are my $.02...
but why will I get better performance? I honewstly dont know , I have zero experiance with compound bows and proper form. I know to aim the sucker, plant my hand on my cheek and pull the release trigger.

what am I missing here that changes performance depending on which side of the bow you are on?
lol... well I don't know... I shoot traditional (would really effect performance in this case) but I don't really know anything about compounds. Maybe it wouldn't effect your performance, I don't know, I just really think you should go with a left handed bow man...
Old 08-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to buy a left handed bow make sure you buy left handed arrows to go with it or it won't shoot straight!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 PM

If you live anywhere close to the Baltimore area, stop by my shop and I'd be glad to show you how to shoot the "X" ring whileshooting the same bow both left-handed and right-handed. In order to do it you must have good form, correct draw length, a well tuned bow, a neutral grip, and the strength to pull the bow efficiently with either hand.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: manuman

I am just the opposite--I am rt handed and left eye dominat,shooting a gun and bow lh--as well as pool!
Im left hand, right eye dominant. I shoot bow, rifle and pistol righty, just came natural even as a kid. But shoot pool lefty. Were all a little weird i guess.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

When I was about 10 years of age the so called 'trainer' at our club asked me; 'What hand you use to write with, boy?'
I said; 'Left, sir'
He said; 'Take a left handed bow and start shooting'

I remeber i could not hit a target att all untill somebody told me to close my right eye.
So, many years later I found out about the eyhe domitation thing and today, some 30 years later, I still shoot one eye closed, left handed.
Thats right, I have a right dominant eye and can hit a pushpin at 30 yards.

In your opening line you said you where thinking about shooting a right hand bow left handed.
Thats a double nono.
You shoot left handed bows left and right handed bows right.
I can also a right handed bow but if i try so wrong handed, my arrows will only 'get to the other side' and never properly in a spot.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 AM

This happened to me...I am right-handed and a baseball bat and the asphalt rendered my right eye useless at an early age. I hunted many years with a right-handed bow and just missed many deer and some were very large, but never did get one. I had already switched to shooting a gun left-handedand my brother gave me an old left-handed bow he had. What a difference it made...Three deer the first year
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Ihave a friend of minewho is a lefty he ended up getting a sweet deal on a right hand mathews bow for 200.00 all set up with a case and hindsite, with alittle pratice he was shooting 1 1/2- 2 groups at 40yds, not saying this is for everyone but hes had no problem adjusting
Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

If you're going to buy a left handed bow make sure you buy left handed arrows to go with it or it won't shoot straight!
nah ill be fine, I plan on going to australia with it.....the arrows spin backwards there anyways

Quick Reply: Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.