Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Biggest Gimmick

Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Biggest Gimmick

What's been the biggest gimmick you've fallen for when shopping for hunting accessories. Don't be embarassed we've all done it. Come on someone's got to be chewwing gum o flauge as you read this.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Biggest Gimmick

LOL, can't say I've fallen for anything, honest...as I sit and type and think[&:], there isn't anything coming to mind...

If someone mentions something I have, perhaps that'll start my brain...

And of course someone will jump on the ban wagaon of Scentloc/Blocker products, comon guys...don't go there.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

The deer view mirror comes to mind almost immediately, I can honestly say that I haven't purchased one but thats got to be up there for me.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

The whole You should buy this and have that and all that other garbage, the Hunting Industry is a complete gimmick. A person doesnt need to buy anythign for hunting except his weapon of choice.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I thought of some that I fell for and then wised up! However. I'm going to remain silent because 'One man's gimmick might be another man's treasure!' I really don't want to cut a product that many of you may now use.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:56 AM

I'm going to go in a slightly different direction and say Bowhunting Magazines. Yes, I buy them and I even renewedmy subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine for the third year in a row now.For the most part, the stories are the same year after year, just different authors (sometimes), and different pictures. There are only so many "Greatest Tree Stand locations" and only so many "Proven Rut Tactics" out there, and only so much that can be said about scent control and wind conditions. And, to top it off,most of us still hunt the same way, in the same place, at the same time regardless of what we read. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love to bow hunt, but the bows themselves are gimmicks. Do you really need an eight or nine hundred dollar bow to kill a deer. The industry knows hunters are going to eat the newer and improved bows up. Older bows are not obsolete. I would be willing to bet I can kill just as many deer with a $300.00 bow than any of you can kill with a $800.00 one. Is a bow really worth 8 or 9 hundred? To me no way. I still shoot a PSE Thunderbolt and kill all the deer I need. Too many get involved in the new technology hype with these so called better than ever bows. If you want to spend the extra dollars that is perfectly fine. Every hunter has his or her preference and I will never put down that person on what equipment he or she uses. Now I will say this, sometimes you get what you pay for and I probably would not buy a bow that is at the lowest rung of the ladder. Can I afford to buy a high dollar bow? Yes I can, but I prefer not to. My mid-price range bow works just fine. It's plenty fast enough and real quiet too. Just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I thought this post would give us each some time to laugh at ourselves, but it seems that most don't want to offend anyone which was not my intention. Come on who's hunting with the cough silencer?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just paid a $170 for an Ambush Saddle. I hope it doesn't become the biggest gimmick forme.

P.S. I'm using a cough silencer but it's taped to my .22 (just kidding).
Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I bought the stupid silent turkey call M.A.D. came out with years ago. Geesh.

Quick Reply: Biggest Gimmick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.