Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Biggest Gimmick

Old 08-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Spike

Default RE: Biggest Gimmick

A few years back I bought a deer sling for dragging deer. Now I'm sure there are plenty of good products like this one out there, but this was junk. I didn't pay much attention in the store to the rope diameter otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. The rope was maybe 3/8" and I tried to drag a 170lb buck I shot with it. That rope kept stretching and stretching. Ended up grabbing the antlers and throwing the rope away when I got home.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FOP23

I thought this post would give us each some time to laugh at ourselves, but it seems that most don't want to offend anyone which was not my intention. Come on who's hunting with the cough silencer?
I actually have one that I bought a few years ago before I quit smoking , don't laugh though , it really works . BTW , I still have a bit of a cough from all those years of smoking , and I still take that silly ol' Cough Silencer out with me . One time I went to grunt at a buck only to hear ... nothing ... grabbed the wrong doo dad . []

The biggest gimmick I've ever bought and regretted was a carbon based "scent hiding" suit , I won't specify the brand due to site rules against bashing advertisers . The confidence boost was great , but it didn't make me a better hunter .
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

My heat seeking broadheads...man they were junk. Just jokin, I can't think of anything right off the top of my head, but I am sure something will come to mind.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NE BeeKeeper

I'm going to go in a slightly different direction and say Bowhunting Magazines. Yes, I buy them and I even renewedmy subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine for the third year in a row now.For the most part, the stories are the same year after year, just different authors (sometimes), and different pictures. There are only so many "Greatest Tree Stand locations" and only so many "Proven Rut Tactics" out there, and only so much that can be said about scent control and wind conditions. And, to top it off,most of us still hunt the same way, in the same place, at the same time regardless of what we read. Just my 2 cents.
I've been hunting deer for almost 40 years. I've read almost everything I could get my hands on and still do. I have 4 subscriptions currently. How many articles on the RUT do you think I've read? Thousands, all talking about the same thing. Out of all those articles, sometimes a person words something just a bit differently, and I see something in a new light and makes it all worth while.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Site Buck Guru

I'm really not much into gimmicks. Hard work and persistence seems to pay off. I can't think of one that I've bought. However, the biggest gimmick I ever saw, was the double arrow rest. Double your killing power by shooting 2 arrows at once![:-]
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM

"Carbon arrows are either straight or broken!" and "Drop a way rests are more accurate."

There are many others, but those are the ones that I hear the most and come to mind first.

Paul
Old 08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

I had to think for awhile because I have a lot of crap. But I tell my wife I need it all. But the biggest gimmick I had was a sent bottle that you strapped to your ankle. I don't think I bought it, at least I hope I didn't, but now that I think about it I fear I did. But I digress, it didn't stay on and I mademore noise trying to get into the woods with that thing on. i was always trying to see if I could see if it was working. For a skinny person it probably isn't to hard to see the back of your boots whn you walk, but for a fatty like myself it was like trying to do yoga. the idea behind it was it would drop sent as you walked. I gave it to my dad and he is so out of touch with reality that he thought it was the coolest thing since microwave popcorn. He is a simple man.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Copper31

He is a simple man.
Yet it was you who bought and paid for it.....

I am in the developing stages on cutting edge technology for silencing farts, or as we at Silent Killer Inc. like to call it, the Gas Mask. It isa insulated polymer bag with a 1/2" diameter tube coming out of the top. Instructions on what to do with the tube is included in the 158 page instruction manual included with the product. This marvel of hunting technology can be yours for the low low price of 8 installments of $49.99 (offer not valid in alaska or Hawaii)
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup, I bought the silent whistle, suppose to be high pitched and make them shock gobble. Well I blew that thing for 2 days and never had a bird respond to it. Since I can't hear, and besides it was suppose to be above the human ear range, I don't know if it made a sound or not. The only sound I heard was me gasping for air after a few attempts to exhale the air from my lungs through a 1/8 inch tube.LOL

One of the stupidest gimmicks I've seen in a while is that stupid Steady Ready that Knight and Hale are trying to push. They came up with it of course so it's in every shot. I saw Mr Hale in one video almost poke a hole through his spleen tryiing to get that thing mounted on his hip. He had to do a reload, cock, shuffle do hickey to get it done. I almost fell off the sofa.

OK, other useless things I bought, pin on leaves, a blind for my stand that folds up, Green Undies( [8D]),
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM

The Gas Mask! I've got to get that. I have flatulence problem. (I'm laughing so much....I can hardly type this)

Quick Reply: Biggest Gimmick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.