Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

World Hunting Association Format Change

Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 PM

Default RE: World Hunting Association Format Change

i am sure we share the same 'motives'.

i would never ask my good friends that question... who are you kidding
Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I love how alot of the people on this site make assumptions. Half of you dont even know the facts. More then half of you bandwagon.

We, the people, havent even seen the WHA product... how can we judge it?

I'm still against it. They're still hunting caged animals and calling it hunting. You say you're off the fence, well they're still behind the fence. They want to do it right. Grab a big chunk of public land in Michigan. They could even draw straws for a section to hunt. Then let them do their scouting, hang their own stands and take ONE deer of their choice. When they're done they're done. No second chances. You could have illimination for wounding... all sorts of things. Make it real hunting. Buy your non-resident license and may the best hunter rise to the top at the end of the week. Move on to the Adirondacks for the next show. Move to the Georgia mountains for the next show etc etc. No help, do it all by yourself. Now that would be a show I'd watch, record and watch again. What could be more real than real hunting in a real world hunting situation. We'd soon see who the real hunters are after about 3 or 4 of those little trips. I can see lots of them drawing blanks or maybe not passing dozens of caged critters that have been fed and baited to the slaughter. I'd even go as far as to let them follow state laws if baiting is allowed, but NO prebaiting or scouting. Don't tell them where the land is for the next hunt until the day before they're to arrive. I ask you, what could be more entertaining and telling.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JMonsterZUMBO

Greg-

thanks for sharing my posts...Truthfully, the outcry came from fanatics on the web...
Actually JMZ, I talk to hunters nearly every day who have no interest in internet forums and some with little interest in the internet at all. I have yet to come across anyone who condones at all, let alone supports the WHA.

The outcry may have come from "fanatics" as you say, but we "fanatics" are merely the ones with the gumption to stand up and do something about it. My reasons for being against the WHA are far less tangible than you would have your quarry to beleive. Far less tangible than anything your "logic" would accept. Especially since you refuse to accept simple ethics as being "flawed logic".

Very well put David and Jerry
Old 08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I love how alot of the people on this site make assumptions. Half of you dont even know the facts. More then half of you bandwagon.

We, the people, havent even seen the WHA product... how can we judge it?

I'm still against it. They're still hunting caged animals and calling it hunting. You say you're off the fence, well they're still behind the fence. They want to do it right. Grab a big chunk of public land in Michigan. They could even draw straws for a section to hunt. Then let them do their scouting, hang their own stands and take ONE deer of their choice. When they're done they're done. No second chances. You could have illimination for wounding... all sorts of things. Make it real hunting. Buy your non-resident license and may the best hunter rise to the top at the end of the week. Move on to the Adirondacks for the next show. Move to the Georgia mountains for the next show etc etc. No help, do it all by yourself. Now that would be a show I'd watch, record and watch again. What could be more real than real hunting in a real world hunting situation. We'd soon see who the real hunters are after about 3 or 4 of those little trips. I can see lots of them drawing blanks or maybe not passing dozens of caged critters that have been fed and baited to the slaughter. I'd even go as far as to let them follow state laws if baiting is allowed, but NO prebaiting or scouting. Don't tell them where the land is for the next hunt until the day before they're to arrive. I ask you, what could be more entertaining and telling.
EXACTLY! I'd love to see these "professionals" hunt on the same overcrowded, overhunted state land the rest of us hunt on. I think it would be hillarious to see them on State Land in northern Michigan kicking somebody else out of their treestand every morning. Then after two weeks of hard hunting they see a small 3 point wander by and pop it because it's the only deer they've seen all week. I mean, let's make it REAL!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't be watching the WHA because I've lost all respect for these idiots. The fact is they only changed formats because nobody in their right mind would have supported a dart hunting league.

I also loved how they named their sponsors but the "sponsors" had no idea they were even sponsors until the flood of emails and letters hit. This is what happened to Carbon Express!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM

you guys crack me up

I love how the WHA has the acutal picutures of the WHA CEO and the sponsors (shaking hands) at the time of their first press release..

even when they were darting... They must have thought the idea was good, as well...lol-

then the 5-6 fanatics cried wolf "THIS ISNOT HUNTING!" waaaa

KNOW THE FACTS PEOPLE!

please...i will inform yall

Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM

please, go check out their site

worldhunt.com ... its there for urself..big boy
Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

JMZ, you still fail to explain your interest in the WHA and it is you who lacks the knowledge to explain the facts...if not, by all means please explain the facts to us without quoting the WHA website, that's good marketing, PR and a smokescreen...please explain the facts to me..go ahead.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JMonsterZUMBO

you guys crack me up

I love how the WHA has the acutal picutures of the WHA CEO and the sponsors (shaking hands) at the time of their first press release..

even when they were darting... They must have thought the idea was good, as well...lol-

then the 5-6 fanatics cried wolf "THIS ISNOT HUNTING!" waaaa

KNOW THE FACTS PEOPLE!

please...i will inform yall
Carbon Express and Gorilla Treestandswere NEVER sponsors of the WHA, despite what the WHA said in their press release. Read this article and pay attention to the quotes FROM CARBON EXPRESS! I do know the facts - I certainly don't need YOU to educate me.

Misfire?
World Hunting Association on target for premiere, but critics still keep the pro tourney in their sights
[/align]
MT. MORRIS TOWNSHIP
[/align]THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
[/align][/align]Thursday, August 17, 2006
By Elizabeth Shaw
[/align][/align][email protected] • 810.766.6311

[/align]MT. MORRIS TWP. - In a few weeks, the World Hunting Association plans to unveil its official sponsors for the first-ever professional sport hunting league, set to premier in October at a Gladwin game ranch.
Eastman Outdoors won't be one of them.
"We want to make it perfectly clear to everyone that we don't have anything to do with it," said Julie Legeret, a spokesperson for the Mt. Morris Township company that makes Carbon Express arrows, Gorilla tree stands and other hunting and camping products.
There's good reason for the company's stance.
Legeret has been conducting damage control since June, when the Southfield-based WHA made waves when it announced the creation of a competitive hunting tour in which bow and rifle hunters would compete for cash prizes using tranquilizer darts to shoot deer on game ranches.
They also announced two Michigan manufacturers of hunting gear - Eastman Outdoors and G-5 Outdoors - would sponsor the tour, and hinted at other sponsors.
No one was more shocked than the folks at Eastman, who said a company representative met with WHA founder David Farbman, but never committed to a sponsorship deal.
"We never told them we were going to be sponsors. We never agreed to anything. We hadn't given them any money or anything," said Legeret. "I'm the one who handles all our donations, sponsor requests and media contacts, and I didn't even know someone here had talked to them when this hit the news."
Within hours of that first news release, an outcry erupted from hunters who felt the concept violated the ethics of fair chase and sportsmanship.
"The backlash was immediate. Every e-mail and phone call coming through our customer service department was about what a bad idea it was, how they were going to boycott our products and not shop in stores that carry our products," said Legeret. "They announced it on Wednesday, and by Friday we had a statement on our Web site that we weren't sponsors."
Legeret said she's still chasing down and snuffing out stray rumors.
"We had to do a lot of repair work to turn everyone's opinion around to make sure they know we don't have anything to do with it," she said. "I still Google articles online everyday to make sure we're not mentioned. Every now and then, our name still shows up from people who still have the original press release.
"To tell you the truth, it's left a bad taste in our mouth and really given us a bad attitude toward the whole thing."
WHA chief operating officer Robert Halsey admitted they've "made a few mistakes," but said the international tournament will open as planned at the Lost Arrow Resort in Gladwin with as much as $600,000 in prizes.
"There was a lot of misconception with some of the folks in the industry when we first announced. Since then, we've learned a lot," said Halsey. "No one has publicly reversed their stand yet, but we've had a lot of meetings and we're expecting more support now for what we can do for the sport of hunting."
The WHA plans to sign up eight professional hunters for the debut tour, including a paralyzed insurance agent who hunts from a wheelchair.
The multi-media concept includes televised events and interactive online gaming to attract youths and nonhunters.
"We're trying to showcase the skills, strategies and tactics of hunting, and show the general public that's it's not just a bunch of guys standing around over a bait pile," said Halsey. "I think the perception is changing among hunters now that the initial backlash has quieted down and they're seeing all the other things we're bringing to the table."
Whether hunters will watch remains to be seen. To date, an online anti-WHA petition has drawn about 1,300 signatures.
"I'm really disappointed because I know that with all the word of mouth, people from across the country know about the petition. But in a country that may have 20 million deer hunters, the number who have signed the petition is pretty insignificant," said Indiana hunter Greg Russell, who launched the online anti-WHA campaign.
"I believe most hunters are against the whole principle, but getting them all willing to be active is pretty tough."
Back in June, Safari Club International's Washington headquarters issued a statement criticizing the concept, but is re-examining its official stance.
"I'm not sure, but I believe they're looking into whether or not it could increase interest in hunting among youth if it's done correctly and ethically," said SCI-Flint chapter president Marc Somers.
"Personally, I haven't spoken with anyone in favor of it."
Eastman Outdoors, meanwhile, isn't budging.
"The hunting community never really got on board with the idea. People just aren't excited about this," said Legeret. "We're just going to stay as far back from it as far as possible.
"Negative attention to the sport is the last thing we need."

[/align]©2006Flint Journal
© 2006 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

if (window.print) window.print();

Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 PM

rob- i just read the news and understand the facts.

i try not to state misinformation like the posters above.. i think you know what i am talking about

Quick Reply: World Hunting Association Format Change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.