Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hitting the improvement wall... what do to?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hitting the improvement wall... what do to?

The difference between what you are doing now and what people at the elite level do is that their bad shots aren't as bad as yours or mine, and they have the mental game to maintain focused under pressure.
Again.....this is VERY true for the golf analogy, as well.....

Good point.

jeff
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been lucky enough to shoot with a couple of the best there when the wife and I were taking archery seriously (now we do it for fun!).

There are two things that make "them" different from "us":

- mental toughness to do it ALL the time and nothing seems to effect it. Sure they may have a bad day, but their bad day is our great day. Like was said, the bad for them isn't that different from the good for them.

- The form they have is ROCK SOLID AND PERFECTLY REPEATABLE and they trust it to do its job. They will tinker with bows/arrows/equipment to tweak things out, but the form of the shot is perfected. May not be text book, but it is perfectly repeatable.

If you want to find out where you are, and 3 inch groups at 50 yds, is top notch, head on down to Atlantic City this winter and give it a go. If you are truely shooting 3 inch groups all the time, or close to it, you will do very well there.

there's only so much physical can get you, then it becomes mental. YOu may be there. If you really want to know, have a TOP coach watch you shoot.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh- I've not tried a true back tension and I may do that. I'm not really interested in getting a coach, I'm mainly just lookingto have a good time and shoot well at 3d's and some indoor stuff in the "off-season." I guess I'll give the BT a whirl and see what happens... I guess if I decide to take it further later on, that option is still there. Thanks for the insite guys.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:34 PM

There are some things you can try, some have been mentioned already. But to be totally honest some people are just better archers. There is a huge mental game to archery and personality types have a lot to do with it as well.

Probably the best thing you could do at this point to get better is look for a coach and get really serious about your shooting. Gizmos and tuning probably won't help you much at this point. Some of the best scores ever shot have been with old technology and poorly tuned equipment. They were just GREAT archers. And if you asked them what makes them better they would mostly have no idea.

The sad truth is archery is a skill based sport. Any one can learn to do it, but some are just going to naturally be better at it.

I like to golf as well, and I suck at it. I'm sure I could be better, but I'm also pretty sure I would never be "good" at it.

My advice is if you are serious get some target archery books, take some lessons and/or get a coach.

Paul
Old 08-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

3" groups at 50 yards? I don't know, you may just have to admit that you'll never be any good and that youjust suck.