Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow through?

Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Follow through?

What is the follow through when shooting a bow? Is it just continuing the backwards steady motion of the release hand?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Follow through?

And the continuedforward motion of your bow arm/hand.

It should be a complete process.

Look at itas ifyou're pushing/pulling your bow apart. That bow arm should have steady pressure pushing outward (without locking your elbow)while your release arm/hand should have steady pressure pulling backward.

When you release that pressure should still be enough to pull your release arm backward and your bow arm forward.

A lot of archers tend to drop their bow arm directly after the shot. This is something you want to try and avoid.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Follow through?

It is simply the act of aiming thru the shot and not grabbing the bow. When you are done with the shot you should still be looking at the target and the bow should jump or roll out of your hand.

This keeps you from dropping your arm or peeking around the bow too see where the arrow went. If you do it right you will see the arrow go all the way to the target.

You will hear people talk about messing the shot up during the shot and that a longer brace height, less reflex and a shorter draw length will help with this and be more forgiving.

I personally don't buy it, the shot happens VERY fast. I firmly believe anything you did to mess the shot up you did before you released the arrow. You just didn't know it. This is why back tension or surprise releases work so well. Most people that have trouble with dropping their arm or grabbing the bow do not do it during the shot, but rather right before the shot because they are anticipating the shot. Take a person that does either and let them shoot a back tension release or trigger their release for them and I bet the bow falls our jumps out of their hand after the shot.

The best practice for this is blind bale shooting and having a good shot sequence established. Many say the end of your shot sequence should be your release hand touching your shoulder. I don't do this, but I could see where it would work.

Paul