Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Predator Deception Camo Photos

Old 08-20-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Predator Deception Camo Photos

So my back finally felt good enough today that I was confident in being able to hang at least two stands. While doing so, I had my good friend take a few photos of me in my Predator Deception camo.

Several of these pictures were taken while I was in my stand, which is something I know a lot of you folks have been asking for. However, I hunt out of pine trees, so the effectivness may be different in a different species of tree. I still feel that these photos show just how well the camo works. I included both a color and black and white copy of each picture we took.

Something to keep in mind while looking at these. These pictures were taken looking straight at me. With any luck, and if we've done everything right, the deer we're hunting will never be looking directly at us. So, with that in mind, try the peripherial vision test. Look to the right or left of each photo and notice how the pattern seems to break up the hunter's outline. Camoflauge such as Mossy Oak or Real Tree tend to look like black blobs in the corner of your each while doing this test.

Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Default RE: Predator Deception Camo Photos

Great contrast on those pics. Now you just need a Double Bull matrix to match the Deception camo!!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: gregholland

Great contrast on those pics. Now you just need a Double Bull matrix to match the Deception camo!!
Funny you should mention that!

A Double Bull is going to be one of my next "major" hunting purchases. I've got an Ameristep Doghouse right now and I hate it. For one thing, I can't fold the damn thing up!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

No offense but that style Predator pattern is nothing special IMO. I very much like the Predator line of camo, Fall Brown, Fall Gray etc and to me that particular version doesn't have enough contrast to be anything special above patterns like Realtree Hardwoods or MO Obsession, Natgear SCIIetc.
It has nice tones to it and should work just fine in the right setting but it doesn't seem to have that real outline busting amount of contrast that some of their other patterns have.

It does appear like a good choice for your pine tree set-ups.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

No offense but that style Predator pattern is nothing special IMO. I very much like the Predator line of camo, Fall Brown, Fall Gray etc and to me that particular version doesn't have enough contrast to be anything special above patterns like Realtree Hardwoods or MO Obsession, Natgear SCIIetc.
It has nice tones to it and should work just fine in the right setting but it doesn't seem to have that real outline busting amount of contrast that some of their other patterns have.

It does appear like a good choice for your pine tree set-ups.

Matt, I think you're right to an extent,not so much about Deception but the Predator line in general.

When people ask the question "Which camoshould I buy, Predator or ASAT?"my first response is always "Do you plan on buying one set of camo to cover any situation or do you plan on purchasing several different sets to match the different seasons?"

ASAT does just what it's name says it does; it works in All Seasons and All Terrains. It is a very adaptable camoflauge.

Predator, however, should be chosen based on the situation you plan on hunting. I thought Deception would work best in my area, and I honestlythink it does. Fall Brown and Fall Gray are both a little better when it comes to being able to use them in different situations, but I think ASAT still has them both beat as far as that goes.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's no secret among us here that I'm a big fan of Predator, but I agree with Matt. Your answer was very thoughtful too, WH.

My biggest reason for being a proponent of Predator -- and specifically Fall Gray, Fall Brown, and Spring Green -- is its high contrast. I just don't think there's enough of that present in their newer lines...

Now, if you bury yourself in amongst the pine needles, you're fine... I think I personally would have chosen Spring Green for that setup. But -- as I've said before... to each his own. What matters is that you're happy with it, and you have the utmost confidence in your equipment (in this case, your clothing.).

Now, don't think I'm speaking derogitorily about your new clothes; hands down, they'll still be better than MO or RT...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Greg, you're absolutely right.

When I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to buy new camo for this year, I had every intention of purchasing Spring Green. The only problem? Sportsman's Warehouse didn't carry it. They carried Fall Brown, Fall Gray, and Deception.

Perhaps next year I'll be a bit more patient and just order my clothing straight from Predator and give the Spring Green a try. Perhaps I'll like the way Deception works this season and just stick with it. Only time will tell, but I'm a Predator man now and that's what matters.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with Matt and Greg, that particular pattern is too busy and has the tendency to blob like MO and RT but unlike Fall Grey and Fall Brown.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly you stick out like a sore thumb. Have ya ever tried mixing up your camo? Now if you were stuck in the middle of alot of green foliage that combo you have on would be perfect.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that....A sore thumb indeed. I don't know why.....maybe it's because you are centered in the photo, and maybe it's just the photo itself, but I don't understand the fascination.

But as was also mentioned, if you're happy w/ it, so am I. Period.