Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Boots Smell Like Rubber-HELP!!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Boots Smell Like Rubber-HELP!!

I purchased a pair of Thinsulate 1000 high top rubber Hunting boots. They fit well and comfortable, BUT....they smell like a tire! I have tried baking soda, Code Blue, Wildlife Research and left them outside for days, still smell like rubber. Is this going to be a problem? Will the deer smell this as a threat, or will they not recognize the smell of rubber and be OK to stand hunt in them?
Old 08-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boots Smell Like Rubber-HELP!!

Don't worry about it as long as they don't smell like a human. If you leave them out long they will lose that smell. Try applying a cover scent.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is whyI don't get why everybody preaches about wearing rubber boots. THEY STINK!!!!! I like my cordura with scent blocker.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Typical Buck

Find a pig farmer and get some pig sh t in bags. Place boots in it for three days then clean with baking soda. For the inside put baking soda in them this should go the trick.
Good Hunting.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

If there are no pigs in his area thats going to spook the deer even more than the smell of rubber. dig a hole just big enough to put the boots in, and burry them for a week or so, then from that point on use fresh earth cover scent on them or maybe even some fox urine, I advise on staying away from any anti-ground scents such as coon.

ORIGINAL: RJPOUTDOORS

Find a pig farmer and get some pig sh t in bags. Place boots in it for three days then clean with baking soda. For the inside put baking soda in them this should go the trick.
Good Hunting.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

What gets me is i see so many hunters that wear rubber boots are standing at the gas pumps filling up wearing ther boots before hunting. can you emagin the smell [:'(]you can pic up on the soles of your boots at gas pumps. i like to put em on when i get to the parking spot.
Dan
Old 08-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I wear LaCrosse rubber boots and love them. That rubber smell will go away after a few months. The real benefit to rubber over say cordura and leather is that rubber does not retain other smells. Now, I still wait to put my boots on until I am parked to hunt and take them off when I'm done. You can rinse them off with a water hose and get most anything off of them. Take your old leather or cordura boots and try to clean a smell off of them. It's much harder. In the long run rubber boots for short walk hunting is the way to go.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Put them out in the sun for a few daysit creates what is called a "corona" efffect,which whitens rubber somewhat,it will deaden the smell.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:43 PM

Thanks for all the imput. I tried all but the "pig manure", no pigs in the area. Nothing, still smell like rubber. I have them buried in a hole and I poured "Red Fox Urine" in the hole and covered it. Will let you know in a week or so. Thanks again and good hunting.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just leave them outside for a week or so.

Quick Reply: Boots Smell Like Rubber-HELP!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.