Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Something is definitely wrong with my form guys. I am shooting the greatest I ever have and also feel the most confident. However, I know my form needs work. I realize that my body is not forming a perfect T. When I bring my release arm down to correct (of course my peep is not in line of sight) my ideal peep location would seem to be too far away from my face. I also feel really unconfortable when trying to achieve perfect form. I have tried to correct in the mirror but it is really uncomfortable. Help me out fellas.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:07 AM

Default RE: Okay, I need help w/ my form.

You make a great point. I just thought it would be nice to cover all the bases so to speak. I was wanting to do some indoor leagues this winter and want to have somewhat of a good form. But your'e right when it comes down to it..thanks.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:38 AM

Ducsauce, this close to season - don't worry about it.

If you're concerned with your form, or just want to do some fine tuning, start out after the season ends this year.

I'm like you, I know my form is off a bit, and i want to perfect it. Why? I'm just a perfectionist, plain and simple.

Make this post again in March, and then work on it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

First, right off the bat your release elbow is too low. That forearm should be parrellel to the ground, it may be that your bend your wrist at the release, bring that elbow up to smooth out that line.

Nice open stance, grip looks good...I give you a A-..
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob. You are stretched out too much. It doesn't appear that the bow's drawlength is too long. It's the loop and the release mainly. You need to shorten the loop till your release doesn't hit the nocks when you hook up, but no longer. The release needs to be shortened so you are shooting at about the second joint of the finger, not the tip of the finger. You might have to fudge just a bit with shortening the bow, but no more than 1/2" at this point.

I do disagree with the idea that hunting season is real close. These adjustments can be made in a few hours and the body adjust to them in a matter of a few days. Depends on how much you shoot.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Ok, thanks for the recommendations guys. I was under the impression (for some reason) that I was supposed to form that perfect T. I realize now that my release arm is supposed to be higher than my bow arm but just parallel to the ground. I tried in the mirror this morning and achieved this. I just have to get in the habit of doing it this way. I'll tinker with the release and see what I can come up with, its fully extended now.

Wondering what happened to Hot Cat's post that I replied to last night???[&:]
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ducsauce,

Very nice place you have there. Spectacular in fact!

That forearm should be parrellel to the ground
This is true as long as you are shooting at a target at about shoulder level.

The drawing forearm will always be parellel to the arrow (vertically and horizontally) at full draw however. Even if you are shooting downward from an elevated stand.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Maybe I'm to picky, but it looks like you have your weight mainly on your front foot. Try distributing your weight evenly and see if that helps steady your stance. Other than that I agree about the release arm. Forearm needs to drop flat(parrallel). The way your wrist is bentit may be that your bow isn't set to the right draw lenght. Should be ableto draw back and relax your arm holding the weight of thedraw with your shoulders.

Just me observation.

-D
Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

WOW... If you are shooting great anyway I would just be more concerned about the deer than your form....

Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Oh yea, I agree with BG and Washington... If your grouping where you want them, then leave it alone until after the season.

Quick Reply: Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.