Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Bobco: Thanks for the tip. Actually, that is my parents place. I miss being surrounded by mountains. I'm in the process of joining an archery club so I can have a place to shoot.

ddeblance: Your'e right, I'll remember to balance my weight and especially to get that arm down.

labhunter: LOL, I didn't even see that the 1st time.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to try to upload a pic of myself from a winter 3D shoot. This was just warming up (literally it was about 20 degrees out)so I'm not sure if it's my best effort but it's the only picture I have of myself shooting.......I think it will give you a good visual of body position.
Release type is different but it's the same concept on form.

One thing I noticed on your picture other than what was already said is the tension in your hands, relax them and your forearms. (Think "dead spider" on your hands, just let those fingerscurl down naturally as if dead)
Think of your bow arm as a 2X4, just set it and forget it. That arm is just relaxed resistance against your pulling through the shot with your release arm via the back muscles. Keep the tension of the shot behind your shoulder.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great form Matt!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see whats wrong,,,,,,,,its the bow youre shooting lol, no really, it looks like its a tad long.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I model my basic shooting form above after this guy.......If you are familiar with his shooting ability then you already know that you could do worse. LOL

http://www.davecousins.com/tips.html
Old 08-18-2006, 03:11 PM

Your DL is too long, bout half an inch. That's one reason your elbow is pointed down. Also, standing hip forward, like most of your weight is on the front leg.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 PM

OK, I think I improved greatly today. Thanks for the pic Matt.

Mobo: I shortened my release and I think it helped.

I would take a pic to show you guys but its so hard to do while holding back a bow.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, with a background like that mom & pop would have had to drop kicked me out of the house! sweet looking mountains

Is that where you hunted growing up?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Wow, with a background like that mom & pop would have had to drop kicked me out of the house! sweet looking mountains

Is that where you hunted growing up?
Yes sir, believe or not though, not that great of hunting. I've killed a couple does and some turkeys around there. Those dang 4-wheelers have made all kinds of paths and keep the deer pushed back further up there. This year they haven't been so bad. Dad and I would always go down the road about 10 minutes to our friend's private land. Thats where I got my buck last year.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool deal, a 10 minute drive should still look as good.

I could dig through the system & figure it our, but how about refreshing my memory with a pic of last years buck?

Quick Reply: Okay, I need help w/ my form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.