Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Predator Fall Grey, I Love It!!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Predator Fall Grey, I Love It!!!!

I have heard many times that deer are colorblind and can only see hi uv colors like blue. Anyone else heard this?
I think that's bull, and so do several other people who've studied this industry...

Again, here's Marc Barger's take on the "UV phenomenon"....

The UV stuff is just another marketing ploy to get people to buy their products.

I did a test once where I washed some clothing twice in the most whitening household laundry detergent you could buy. I mean this stuff would make black look bright. Anyway I knew where a bunch of deer came out into a field so set myself up so there was no way when they walked towards the field they would not 'see' me if I was glowing like a neon light. Long story short they never knew I was there. Walked right towards me. Right under me. Milled around me for quite a while. If I was glowing they sure couldn't see it. And I was only about 12 feet off the ground. Course I was wearing Fall Brown so that might've helped. But that test and others in more recent years proved to me that it was all bull.

Ya know what I think the UV 'scare' was? I think that a lot of people were getting picked off because the new 'best' camo patterns they were wearing were so dark that the deer were spotting them. So someone picked up on this and thought let's tell them this is the problem while all along it was just that they were big dark blobs sitting in a tree thinking a smart hunter savvy deer wouldn't notice them. Wrong.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

So are you saying that they don’t see in black and white?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't believe that deer see in black and white but we'll never know, the deer won't tell us the truth.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

So are you saying that they don’t see in black and white?
If the question was for me... No, I'm not saying that. Just that they don't see UV as this glowing phenomenon that some would like to make it out to be...

Before I was turned on to "No UV-brighteners", I used to wash my hunting clothes in normal unscented detergent chock-full of UV's, I guess. There was no difference.

I agree with Marc's sentiments up above.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 PM

You honestly think a deer cares if a tree falls, a limb is out of place, the wind blows, lightning strikes?
Absolutely. Deer notice changes in their environment. Why do you think a blind sometimes spooks them, your truck parked in the field keeps them out of the field, they avoid shooting lanes that have been cut. They most certainly do notice, and care.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM

Science understands the human eye, rods, cones, all that stuff I know nothing about. So they take that knowledge, and apply it to the eyes of animals. Sounds good, in theory. Logically, that rationale would work, but it can't. Simply because we cannot communicate w/ deer.A deer can't tell us what colors he sees. The reason we know what we do is by studying the human eye, the subject being studied can tell us what he see's, and what he doesn't.

No one will ever know for sure what deer can and can't see. I guarantee you one thing, though......Movement will get you busted every single time, unless your camo is doing it's job very well. Even then, you're gonna get nailed at least half the time.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Alright guys, I guess that it is time for me to help you guys understand which camo is the most effective and how deer do see colors and shapes by my vast experience and education on the subject.
First of all I will guarantee you that the Predator patterns are the best patterns to use to break up your outline and virtually disappear to the eyes of the whitetail. And whether you want to believe the opinion that deer only see the shades of black and white and greyand nothing else on the color spectrum, it is true.
Now let me back these statements up so that you can take them as gospel. This is a very hard subject for me to talk about, but I feel the need to do now to help you guys all understand.
When I was born, my parents didn't want me and they aboandoned me. I was left in a small woodlot, bordered by a creek on one side and an abandoned railroad bed on the other. Fortunately, I was found and raised by a small herd of whitetail deer. They nursed me and fed me, and educated me to the world of the whitetail. At 17 I was discovered by a farmer, and removed from the wild and domesticated on his small farm on the edge of a small farming community. Over the years that I made the woods my home, I was able to use the knowledge that my "deer" family instilled in me to outsmart many, many hunters in various brands of camo. Many tried to get close to me in all their expensive, new state of the art camo patterns, but no one ever came close.... Until one dreary, cold and mistyday in mid November. Luckily for me, the bowhunter was a terrible shot and missed, or I would be ashoulder mount right now. How did he get so close to me?........ PREDATOR FALL GREY!!!!. I never ever saw him. I was a mere 12 yards from him. He did something in that camo that no other man had ever been able to do, not even the many wearers of ASAT that invaded our woods. Yes, in my black, whiteand grey world, every other pattern stuck out like a beacon until that dangerous pattern they call Predator was invented. Trust me, I lost alot of family members and great friends to that evil pattern, or what we called "Unseen Death".
So take it from a former deer herd member, Predator Fall Grey is absolutely, hands down the best and most effective camo out there. I swear it on my Mother, Bambi's, life.
And that is the end of the story..............
Old 08-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Proff

Alright guys, I guess that it is time for me to help you guys understand which camo is the most effective and how deer do see colors and shapes by my vast experience and education on the subject.
First of all I will guarantee you that the Predator patterns are the best patterns to use to break up your outline and virtually disappear to the eyes of the whitetail. And whether you want to believe the opinion that deer only see the shades of black and white and greyand nothing else on the color spectrum, it is true.
Now let me back these statements up so that you can take them as gospel. This is a very hard subject for me to talk about, but I feel the need to do now to help you guys all understand.
When I was born, my parents didn't want me and they aboandoned me. I was left in a small woodlot, bordered by a creek on one side and an abandoned railroad bed on the other. Fortunately, I was found and raised by a small herd of whitetail deer. They nursed me and fed me, and educated me to the world of the whitetail. At 17 I was discovered by a farmer, and removed from the wild and domesticated on his small farm on the edge of a small farming community. Over the years that I made the woods my home, I was able to use the knowledge that my "deer" family instilled in me to outsmart many, many hunters in various brands of camo. Many tried to get close to me in all their expensive, new state of the art camo patterns, but no one ever came close.... Until one dreary, cold and mistyday in mid November. Luckily for me, the bowhunter was a terrible shot and missed, or I would be ashoulder mount right now. How did he get so close to me?........ PREDATOR FALL GREY!!!!. I never ever saw him. I was a mere 12 yards from him. He did something in that camo that no other man had ever been able to do, not even the many wearers of ASAT that invaded our woods. Yes, in my black, whiteand grey world, every other pattern stuck out like a beacon until that dangerous pattern they call Predator was invented. Trust me, I lost alot of family members and great friends to that evil pattern, or what we called "Unseen Death".
So take it from a former deer herd member, Predator Fall Grey is absolutely, hands down the best and most effective camo out there. I swear it on my Mother, Bambi's, life.
And that is the end of the story..............
That's the funniest thing I ever read...not an ounce of truth in it anywhere.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely. Deer notice changes in their environment. Why do you think a blind sometimes spooks them, your truck parked in the field keeps them out of the field, they avoid shooting lanes that have been cut. They most certainly do notice, and care
Then tell me why I have cut numerous lanes, had deer walk up to my truck when I was standing there with my gun in hand, had deer walk under my stand 12 feet up in the air on a sweet gum tree with no background to break me up and wearing MO Breakup, had deer walk up to 15 yds while I was pulling up my pants after relieving myself? Huh, Huh, Tell me Mobow The Great. Guess WE may never have all the answers. I do know this, as well as a few other things, I will use Anything that gives me an advantage over a whitetail's senses or his ignorance. Guess we will never know how much they care huh?

LT
Old 08-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are certainly isolated incidents and I have had some strange things happen as well but I can also tell you that deer do indeed care about their surroundings and anything that is out of place now I say that as my own experiences not to back mobow however there is no need to get personal LT especially with the direct sarcastic name calling.

If someone came into your bedroom and moved your bed 5 feet, I'd bet you'd notice, same as hanging stands in the woods or cutting shooting lanes. Perhaps not all deer respond the same way but I ask you this, How many mature bucks did you have walk up to your truck, or your other incidents? Deer are individuals as are we and the curiosity dwindles as they mature and it's my goal to hunt those mature deer. I too will take every advantage I can when doing so and that means blending in the best way possible. It may be wearing PFG in the bare winter trees but never in a green enviroment. We've all proven how effective PFG can be however, it's not a one stop fix all camo...even Greg / MO will tell you that. You've made a good purchase LT, perhaps not a great purchase for early season but a great purchase for in the trees when the leaves come down if, you setup correctly. My point is, if your not interested in buying different camo for different seasons, perhaps PFG isn't the right camo for you.

Again, don't make this personal, thanks.

Quick Reply: Predator Fall Grey, I Love It!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.