Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
ASAT Camo
50.00%
Predator Camo
50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

ASAT or Predator... you call it

Old 08-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ASAT or Predator... you call it

I'm pretty torn between the two. So I'll do the old fashion way, a show of hands (or clicks). What do you feel is the most adaptable camo for ALL situations (i.e. from dark pine forests to prairie flats).

If you vote predator please list which color. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ASAT or Predator... you call it

From a versatility point of view it is tough to beat an Asat 3D Leafy suit.If I was only going to buy one that would be the one I would buy.
It is hard to get past the outline breaking ability of Predator fall gray though!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, it's not too hard to do a search and read the pages I've written on here as of late about what I feel to be the virtues of Predator, and specifically Fall Gray...

Interesting you brought up the 3-D leafy suits, tsoc... I was just reading some thoughts from Marc Barger (the Designer of Predator) and his feelings on 3-D suits....

Again, these are his words, but from someone who's been in the camo business for years and years and studied it as passionately as Marc has, I found it very interesting:

A '3-D' suit makes a camo darker. Think about it this way. Take a white sheet and stretch it out. Looks pretty white huh? Now cut all the 'leaves' into it. It'll be darker as it creates shadows. So take a good light camo pattern like PREDATOR or ASAT and make all these cuts on it and all you're doing is making the camo darker and doing away with the whole design concept. Additionally, the little bit of 'rough edges' the cuts create do not help break up the human form... The ASAT Leafy Wear is darker than a guy in just plain ol' ASAT would be because of all the shadows the cuts create. I know this will ruffle some people's ego as they've purchased these things, but facts are facts.
Now, here's some of his thoughts on what differentiates ASAT and Predator; he was responding to someone who said that the reason they preferred ASAT was that it didn't have the"darkblobs of color"in it...

To each their own of course but the reason for the 'dark blobs of color' is to allow the pattern to break you up when combined with the light background. Breaks the human form up into a bunch of pieces instead of one lighter colored piece...like ASAT.
I really think "favorite" camo patterns comes down to the proverbial Ford vs. Chevy deal, to some extent. Now, I DO think there is no way for anyone who is being intellectually honest with himself who looks at a picture of Mossy Oak or Realtree at a distance of 30 yards or so to lay claim that the pattern does anywhere near as good a job as an open-concept pattern such as ASAT, Predator, or the newly emerging Enigma.

A final quote from Marc on these thoughts:

Interestingly, Bill Jordan called me twice trying to put together a deal to purchase the rights to PREDATOR. Told me, "We both know that PREDATOR is the best hunting camo pattern out there, but also both know that how it works doesn't indicate how it'll sell."
It's not often you get to have insight into an owner's or a designer's thoughts and views; I thought some of you may enjoy reading those comments. Obviously, some may disagree, but it makes for some interesting reading, none the less.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Of the two, I chose ASAT. I used it for one year, and it's a great pattern. I'm excited to see if my new Enigma suit will bebetter.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:46 PM

If you're looking for ONE set of camos that will be suited for anything, go with ASAT.

If you're looking to buy several different sets of camo for the different times of the year, go with Predator.

I hunt the evergreen state, so year round we have green - everywhere. I went with Predator Spring Green because it had a lot of green mixed with a little brown and black, perfect for my area.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Both are great camo, but I voted Predator. I use Predator Fall Gray in the later stages and still use Predator Spring Green early because I like its breakup abilities as well, but not for the reason of being dominantly green. That reminds me, I need to call and see if I can purchase a replacement piece of material........wore out the knee on my Spring Green pants. If I go out west again I'd love to try some Predator Deception. I also admit to using Realtree Hardwoods Grey quite a bit.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I voted Predator only because of where ASAT is headed. ASAT is and may always be the most superior camo pattern on the planet however the company ASAT Inc leaves a bad taste in my mouth, that's just an opinion. Unfortunately the product is being outsourced to make money. The pattern ASAT is superior to Predator in every way and I say that after wearing both and the results of wearing both. Unless you've worn ASAT you'll never know how well it works in all aspect, all terrain and all seasons. I've worn Predator only when ASAT wasn't available and once I found it again, my Predator was retired. I absolutely consider Predator the second best camo designed up until Enigma was invented by ASAT's former creative director. I'm anxious to test Enigma and put it heads up in my experiences with ASAT and Predator. I've been fortunate enough to have many experiences wearing both, I anticipate many more experiences wearing Enigma and if it doesn't perform, I'll be the first to turn to Predator because again, I feel in my opinion only is ASAT Inc, is degrading their product, not the pattern.

As far as 3D camo, I understand where the inventor of Predator is coming from, he believes in his pattern and doesn't want to invest in making 3D but 3D is where it's at. Everyone who has seen any camo and seen the same pattern in 3D can verify that 3D breaks the outline up so much better. Darkening or not, shadows create inconsitancies and inconsistancies create illusions, deer rely on it, that's why they stay in the shadows and thickets. Everyone knows that deer's black, browns and tans can disappear when they stand still in the shadows but put one out in the open and they glow. Same goes with ASAT and 3D's...I'm anticipating Enigma's pattern but I'm really anxious to buy their 3D when available. Predator would be so much more a pattern if they'd produce a 3D but as it stands, Predator can't compete with ASAT 3D.

That's from the heart and years of personal experiences wearing BOTH.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The pattern ASAT is superior to Predator in every way
I respectfully disagree with you on this, my good friend. Methinks it's the other way around; a monotone background simply doesn't erase the outline like Fall Gray does. Confuses the eye, yes...

Never the less, both are superb patterns; they just accomplish their goals via different methodologies.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, I totally understand where you coming from however repectfully, you've never worn ASAT much less ASAT's 3D in front of animals, I'm not going by how I feel and see, I'm repsonding on the experiences I've had wearing both Predator and ASAT. It'd not my perception, it's my experiences.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

While on the ground kneeling beside a tree, I've had deer walk by me at 5 yards. I once sat on a stump while rattling and had a young 6 pointer come in so close that he barely nudged the cam of my bow while wearing Predator. I really think that deer had never seen a human before. I also had 10 mostly mature does and 2 young bucks within 20 yards of me last early January..........wearing RT Hardwoods. I just watched hoping a buddy could take his first deer. Whatever the camo you use, stay still, quiet and above all use the wind to your advantage.

dwd2001, whichever of the two camo patterns you choose it will be a good choice.

Quick Reply: ASAT or Predator... you call it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.