Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
ASAT Camo
50.00%
Predator Camo
50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

ASAT or Predator... you call it

Old 08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ASAT or Predator... you call it

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag
dwd2001, whichever of the two camo patterns you choose it will be a good choice.
Totally agree, he's already narrowed it to the top two patterns, but companies are another story..

Add Enigma and you really have a tough decision.

I already have my hat.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

How's the old saying go? You don't have to smoke crack to know it's bad for you? [8D]

No, you're exactly right, of course; I've never worn ASAT.... because once I found Predator Fall Gray, I had a baseline to compare ASAT to, and I never felt it justified spending my money on it. I've seen hundreds of pics of the stuff, studied it, and just don't feel confident that it breaks up the outline like Fall Gray does in a tree whena hunter isclose to or has been skylighted.

Now, maybe I need to add this bit of clarification, as well. I don't think Fall Gray is the end-all pattern for all types of hunting. ASAT would beat its socks off, say... out in Nebraska hunting from the ground for prairie goats. On just about any ground hunt, I'd give ASAT the nod... Or Deception. It's when it's up in a tree after the leaves have fallen that I think this stuff beats ASAT hands down. But... how did Marc put it in his quote up above? "To each his own..."

The other thread which was started by LT after buying some Fall Gray certainly shows off the pattern's ability to obliterate parts of the human body, but -- as Davidmil aptly pointed out -- there's better patterns for that scenario.

I'd still like to see a pattern which combined a myriad of features which we've been discussing. I think it was Matt in Il who asked me on another thread the question about why Fall Gray doesn't have more background showing through as it originally did. I answered him that I'd be one happy man if the owners would move back in that direction, so I certainly think there's room for improvement. Maybe if someone could take some ASAT-like principles, add a VERY light background (which would blend with the sky), add some jagged blocks over the background (to obliterate the outline), then lay the confusing lines over that... Now THAT'S a pattern which has got some potential!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:18 PM

ya'll? This is getting entertaining, if nothing else.....[&:]
Old 08-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

It's when it's up in a tree after the leaves have fallen that I think this stuff beats ASAT hands down. But... how did Marc put it in his quote up above? "To each his own..."
Greg, yes I concur, one reason I wore it on my black bear hunt in a very green June woods...I was skylighted and in a grey tree with a white birch background...Predator Fall Grey was perfect.

I'd still like to see a pattern which combined a myriad of features which we've been discussing. I think it was Matt in Il who asked me on another thread the question about why Fall Gray doesn't have more background showing through as it originally did. I answered him that I'd be one happy man if the owners would move back in that direction, so I certainly think there's room for improvement. Maybe if someone could take some ASAT-like principles, add a VERY light background (which would blend with the sky), add some jagged blocks over the background (to obliterate the outline), then lay the confusing lines over that... Now THAT'S a pattern which has got some potential!
It's in the wind.
enigma One entry found for enigma.
Main Entry: enigĀ·ma
Pronunciation: i-'nig-m&, e-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin aenigma, from Greek ainigmat-, ainigma, from ainissesthai to speak in riddles, from ainos fable

2 : something hard to understand or explain

synonym see MYSTERY
Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya'll?
There's a reason the great philosophers enjoyed their debates so well. Aristotle, Plato, Socrates... all of them knew how to engage and participate in a dialectic which served to broaden everyone's knowledge, while respecting their worthy debater...

And -- to your point, mobow -- besides being highly entertaining,the combined dialecticwas often the impetus or driving force forcreating a solution or settling on an idea that has stayed with us over the centuries. Ergo, in this case, possibly it could be Enigma.

-- Of course, I'm not suggesting Rob and I worthy to be included among those great philosphers of old... They debated our very existence at times; we'll just stick to camouflage! [8D]
Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah, what HE said......LOL.......

Greg, I really don't know what you just said, but it sounds positive enough to me......
Old 08-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the Predator Evolution pants and jacket,and I think it will be an awesome pattern for the early season. The hardwoods in my area are oaks and maples,with a lot of cedars. Here's a pic ,I'll try to get one in a treestand as soon as I can. Fall grey looks great for later in the season.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

The military has sought an all season all terrain camo pattern since they first began researching camo . After over 100 years of research and study they have never found such a pattern . I have little doubt that ASAT is good at what it does , but my vote goes to Predator .
Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of the military I read somewhere that they originally did give ASAT a really good look but it's effectiveness was gone once the human eye was trained in what to look for. It's effectiveness as a hunting camo is well known,but new things always come into the market. BTW I saw a video clip from the movie Jesus Christ Superstar and it looked like the soldiers leading Jesus away were wearing ASAT BDU's tank tops and shiny chrome helmets!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have experienced the same as Cougerman.

Quick Reply: ASAT or Predator... you call it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.