Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Spotted!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Buck Spotted!!!

I FINALLY got my eyes on a real nice one on my hunting property. And the even better news I think it is the same monster 8 pointthat haunted me for 3 straight days in November and one December afternoon(2 afternoons within 50 yards and one morning snuck in behind me at the long range of 10 yards and caught me off gaurd).

Anyways, I saw a deer moving through some brush so I grabbed my binoculars and looked and saw it was a nice buck. He bedded down and about 10 minutes later he came sprinting down the hill a ways and bedded back down. I looked up and saw a coyote walking back up in the woods.

I am almost positive this is the same deer from last year. He is well over 20 inches inside spread with about 10 inch G 2's. He appears to be about 4 1/2 years old as he picked up a little more mass and height this year.

I have seen this deer 5 times now (4 last hunting season and now tonight). All sightings have came withing 400 yards of a big alfalfa field with an extremely large thicket next to it. 2 of the sightings last Novemeber involved him chasing a hot doe (he chased one doe all around the field during an afternoon hunt), and the other he responded to grunting. In December he was just casually feeding out in the field well out of range.

My question is, what now? I have a trail camera but it's not that good and theft is a good possibility in this spot. I hunt this field pretty hard during October and early November, but when I hunt back in the thicket it seems to scare the deer and they always find a way around my setup. What should I do and how should I set up on this buck? I think he is staying deep in that thicket right now waiting until dark to come out, but it is pretty thick back there and not to many options for tree stands and visibility is very poor from the ground.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Big Buck Spotted!!!

That's great news, it's always nice to see a shooter from last season make it through for another round...good luck on him this year.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Spotted!!!

IBH...where are you from? This sounds very similar to a big 8pt.my friend has been chasing for about 2 years. Just curious.