Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help, how do you make the bow shoot faster than stock?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Default RE: help, how do you make the bow shoot faster than stock?

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

so I now wonder what is the best string silencer for this bow.

I thought you said it was quiet? I'm shooting a Mathews LX thatI bought new in 2003. The bow is quiet, no silencers other than string suppressors. Your XT has what....28 harmonic dampeners on it now?? LOL Don't over think this man. You have a GREAT bow, don't pimp it out with $5 cat whiskers to make it slower. Enjoy your new toy, because its going to obsolete when the 2007 models come out.
it was quieter than the others and there was a real difference in the hand shock when shooting it. test model had only a light sight and a el cheapo flip away plastic arrow rest on it. then I put on the stabilizer ( a 20 dollar one so its not any thing close to top of the line design) and it made a real difference in the hand shock. now when I compare to my bros ovation his is quieter than mine. he has string silencers on his and thats the only difference there. so if I put em on I should be almost unhear able lets see a white tale jump that string!!! if its not enough I wonder if puting them on the other cables like the ones that go through the cable guard?

Also I forgot to add that I had limb savers on it. they say they help takeing out vibration that makes the limbs weak so I figure it would be good for the bows long term health to put them on.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM

The first thing you should do is make sure your bow is exactly set to specs. On your XT, I think the most important factors are ATA and the cam timing. Let the brace height fall where it may. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you don't know the specs on your XT, go to the Mathews forum and find out. Also,check the idler lean. Make sure the string is coming off straight at full draw.

The second thing you should do is lose the WB, just kidding, no really lose it.
Using a fall away rest will give you the several fps the WB is robbing you of, not to mention the other issues related to the WB. I won't go there.
For all you Biscuit users, its a great rest.
Good luck man!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

You can make it shoot faster but you'll loose something in the process. It's a balancing act, speed vs quietness, penetration yada yada yada. What you have will work just fine. It's the shooter that determines the ultimate success. Personnally, I'd rather have quieterover extra speed. Crank it up to a weight you're comfortable with and use a medium to heavy arrow. Next time buy a .........[8D][8D]
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are up to it you could dump your peep and go with a hind site or no peep type set up. That should get you~ 5 fps.

Removing any string silencers and just going with the string suppressors should gain you a few fps (2-4).

Ditching the WB rest will gain you 2-3 fps.

That places you in the neighborhood of9 fps gained.

Scott and Tru-ball are selling new releases that add some draw length (trigger closer to jaws than before) which should allow one to go to the next size higher cam. If you're shooting a 28 now then you may be able to buy up to a 28.5 with one of those releases. It would be a costly experiment, but should gain you ~ 5 fps.
Combine that with ditching the string loop and shooting off of the string and now you're looking at a 29" cam and a gain of 9-10 fps.

Take that 9 and the 9 above and your looking at 18fps gained.

Not all moves I'd make, but feasable.