Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help, how do you make the bow shoot faster than stock?

Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help, how do you make the bow shoot faster than stock?

switchbackxt,

I hope you know I was obviously having a bit of fun with my last post; I think you have a great bow. The Switchback XT is the last bow I was shot before signing with BowTech. I know from experience it's a sweet shooter.

Really, you've got to ask yourself what you're wanting out of a bow. If you're wanting a very maneuverable, smooth, forgiving quiet rig with good speed, the XT is among the top bows out there.

Now, having said that... If you want something just as quiet but another 15-20 fps...

Just kidding, just kidding. Be happy with your XT; it's a great bow.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of hunting do you do? Do you hunt out west where 50-60 yard shots are normal? Or do you hunt whitetails and shoot 25 yards or less?

A gain of 10 fps is not even noticeable without a chronograph. The only thing you will notice is the noise you get from shooting lighter arrows.

If you sight in at 25 yards and the target is 30 yards away, 10 fps means you miss 2.75 inches low instead of 3.00 inches low. I wouldn't give up my XT for that .25 inches of flatter trajectory.
Great post, gzg... I was on the verge of going down that road, but for some reason I'm feeling more mischievous tonight... [8D]
Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 PM

ok im sticking with the xt and I gues there isnt any thing other than going to lighter arrows. I dont think I want that becuase this is a hunting bow mainly. so I now wonder what is the best string silencer for this bow. I have a 6" powder filled stabilizer on it, the heavy dampeners, peep, string D-loop, good cobra site (not the crapy plate of metal that wallmart calls a good site) and wisker buisket rest. 28" draw (measured "the mathews way" I still think im better off at 29 or there abouts) easton carbon arrows 350's tiped with 100 grain field points and 100grain broad heads to match. Ive got 3 nap shockwaves, 3 3-blade titans (waly world for 10 buxs) and some other broad heads all 100 grains and atleast 1 1/8" cutting diameter. I got a quiver from the shop and dont remember which it was but it was about 30 bux held 7 arrows. its got a quick re-lease (just pull it off the bow) so thats my set up.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i wanted to be a trouble maker like Greg i could comment on the WB.....but i wontttt....but you DO want to add string silencers....which can slow you down MORE.....

my view on the topic?? my bow is faster, quieter, smoother etc etc then any bow out there 10-15 years ago.....tooooo many deer and other game were killed with them clunker compounds of them years....no matter what our newer bows still have a big edge over them. dont let numbers hold you down. shoot what you like...i myself like quiet and vibration free etc. i man only be doing 260fps...but when my arrow finds its mark i dont think the deer will give 2 craps about if i was doing 200fps(mathews), 260fps(hoyt) or 320fps(bowtech)... just kidding just kidding...we all know the big 3 and they are all hard to beat....it all comes down to personal prefrence..good luck with your bow...dont let numbers bother you.....get out there and shoot that sucker(till your shoulder hurts so bad you cant shoot.....[]...but i am recovering i do believe!!) and get deadly accurate and stick a biggun...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mauser06

my view on the topic?? my bow is faster, quieter, smoother etc etc then any bow out there 10-15 years ago.....
Actually My '96 Hoyt Defiant I had tweeked over 300 fps...same arrow my 06 Allegiance is shooting 300 fps... but to be honest, I was only shooting a 65 grain nibb so your still correct..[8D]
Old 08-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

I used to hot rod my bows. They were double cam bows, which I still shoot. I could get about 12 fps over stock. I accomplished this with the use of string buttons (which also help as string silencers) and by pre loading the limbs slightly. I twisted up the strings and the cables, maintaining the poundage and draw length, while shortening the axel to axel length. I shortened the A to A length from 1/4" to no more than 1/2". I'm not sure how this works on a single cam bow. In order to do this, you must certainly know what you're doing and have access to a bow press and chronograph. For the two cam bow I used 7 eliminator buttons on each end of the bow. I tested anywhere form 2 to 12 buttons. 7 worked the best for me. The bow like them to be positioned very close to the cams. The closer to the center of the string that you move the buttons, the slower it will shoot. I also had a short serving and tied my nock points on the string. No heavy brass crimp on nock points. Tied in my peep with no rubber band also. Keep your string light. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

I used to hot rod my bows. They were double cam bows, which I still shoot. I could get about 12 fps over stock. I accomplished this with the use of string buttons (which also help as string silencers) and by pre loading the limbs slightly. I twisted up the strings and the cables, maintaining the poundage and draw length, while shortening the axel to axel length. I shortened the A to A length from 1/4" to no more than 1/2". I'm not sure how this works on a single cam bow. In order to do this, you must certainly know what you're doing and have access to a bow press and chronograph. For the two cam bow I used 7 eliminator buttons on each end of the bow. I tested anywhere form 2 to 12 buttons. 7 worked the best for me. The bow like them to be positioned very close to the cams. The closer to the center of the string that you move the buttons, the slower it will shoot. I also had a short serving and tied my nock points on the string. No heavy brass crimp on nock points. Tied in my peep with no rubber band also. Keep your string light. Good luck.
That's what I'm talking about...gotta love tweeking the two cam bows right Greg? ....not to mention lessen the bow string strands down to 18...LOL smokin bows...atta boy Greg.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

so I now wonder what is the best string silencer for this bow.

I thought you said it was quiet? I'm shooting a Mathews LX thatI bought new in 2003. The bow is quiet, no silencers other than string suppressors. Your XT has what....28 harmonic dampeners on it now?? LOL Don't over think this man. You have a GREAT bow, don't pimp it out with $5 cat whiskers to make it slower. Enjoy your new toy, because its going to obsolete when the 2007 models come out.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 PM

cool, did you ever try just a couple really heavy big nocks instead of 7 regular sized ones to see if there was a difference? the string used on the mathews bows says it wont twist a peep, so its just in there with a little string thing tieing down the ends so it dont fall out. since I have a d-loop on that is probably slowing it down, question is how much? if I go to attaching the release directly to the string I will need to change cams to get a longer draw. I wonder if that will put more speed in it, it should I would think.
thanks, your a big help!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That's what I'm talking about...gotta love tweeking the two cam bows right Greg? ....not to mention lessen the bow string strands down to 18...LOL smokin bows...atta boy Greg.
Yes I do love tweaking bows. Back before most 3-d went to a speed limit, I had my HCA max force shooting 321 fps @ 60 lbs with ACC 3-18's. I shot a 51 X 300 with that set up. It was fun. Had to change axel bushings a lot shooting 5 gr/lb though.

Quick Reply: help, how do you make the bow shoot faster than stock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.