Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carbon suits ????

Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 PM

Default carbon suits ????

I am considering laying out the $300 for a new camo carbon suit for the coming bow season. So before I buy I wanted to get opinions from you all. I do have a 5 year old suit that is drab green (under layer type) but from what I've read, it probably is worthless at this age. I am generally fairly concerned about scent and keep all my hunting clothes in a sealed plastic container. I dress when I get to the woods and liberally apply some type of scent killer spray.
So here's a few questions I've considered and need input on.
1. Do they last at least a few seasons?
2. Is one brand better than another (scent blocker vs. scent lock)?
3. Do they cut enough odor to make a difference (more deer in range)?
4. Anything else??? Will they do more than my current practice does??
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 PM

Default RE: carbon suits ????

1. yes, they will last more than a few seasons if properly cared for.
2. no, no brand is better than another, although they all have different models were there is more activated carbon than others... most garmets will tell you parts per million.
3. i believe that most odor is lost threw the head, hands, & feet. as long as everything is covered, yes it will help or at least get a deer that would normally run away might stop and give you a shot to shoot....
~if one takes all the proper steps to eliminate odor a scent lok suit is not going to help much if any, but you're a bowhunter... that meansthat you're an extremist... if you don't buy it you will always be woundering if it would have made the difference!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Spend that $300 on producing homebrew scent killer spray , you'll get far more value from your money . The wind is free , use it . No matter what you wear or do you will never be scent free to a whitetail .
Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent free doesnt necessarily mean carbon suits....marketting
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

they are worth it but choose one that fits your area
you will still need to take the other steps and one of the most important is showering or cleaning your hear and breath
Before getting scent blockers i would get winded and sometimes playing the wind right. but with my carbons that has change more deer and closer better shots
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I use a carbon suit and I think they work, if you also sprayscent killer stuff onany exposed areas, especialy your head and hands, as well as sprayaround your stand, on your equipment, etc.

Last year I had a group of six does sneak up on me from behind the day after a rainfall (which made the leaves very quiet) while I was intent on a buck emerging from a thicket just downhill and upwind from me. The does came from uphill and downwind and my stand was only about 8 feet off the ground. At one point the entire group was within 15 yards downwind of me without scenting me.

I think the stuff works!