Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand Height

Old 08-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Stand Height

My ladder stand is 15' and when using my climber have gone as high as 30' to get where I have break up behind me. I used to only hunt from the ground but then got my first ladder stand. After seeing the advange of being up in the air compared to being on the ground I now mostly hunt out of my treestands. I still use my portable ground blind when I take my kids with me.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stand Height

It depends on the canopy and the cover. I've hunted places where I climbed 25-30 feet before I was out of plain view. Other places, I've hunted 12-16 feet up and done fine.

The question shouldn't be "how high?" It should be "How hidden do I have to be?"

If you find a good tree that has 2-3 big trunks, you can position your stand inside the V, and be concealed very well. In that case, you won't need to be very high at all. You just have to pick the right time to draw your bow.

Another consideration is your scent. If you're confident that you're not putting off much human odor, hunting lower is fine. If you break a sweat on your way in, you might want to hunt a little higher to disperse your scent over their heads.