Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ouchie

Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ouchie

prayers sent bro....
Old 08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a popping and snapping sound in my right shoulder for years. Was told it was inflamation of tendons and muscle. Use Icey/Hot gel found at local Pharmacist and ice. Heating pad before bed if available. Seems to work out the kinks. Used to work for a local grocery store warehouse, so the heavy box lifting all day combined with archery practice/hunting and any other activities that may come around tend to irritate the shoulder areas. But like I said the icey/hot gel, heat and ice seem to work for me along with a few days of easing the use of the shoulder as much as possible.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys. i jsut got back from the chiropractor. my goodness i should been going there since i was 10 when i started working on the farms and cutting grass! i feel 100% better. my shoulder already feels better. definently still sore and wont be shooting or doing anything with it. he said he wont know what it is for a couple visits. he said it could just be built up crap in my muscles, or possibly something serious. he said it was wierd that my left shoulder hurts(im right handed) he said all the archers say their drawing shoulders hurt..which leads me to believe something at work did it not the bow. ill be back out there wed and friday. he will probably get more indepth next time when theres not a line and probably xrays. i could definently feel something in the problem shoulder though. he felt it too because he kept going back to it and squeezing and pushing on it. the other shoulder didnt have that spot. funny how its all connected. once he started doing his thing i could feel it clear up to my head and down my arm...right now it feels better and a heck of alot looser..we will see what he says wed and friday when i see him. i just hope his adjusting and fixing will work and its nothing serious....i been dying to bowhunt all my life...i dont need tobe laid up for the first season i have a bow! though i know that if i do get laid up to just take the time off...if its something serious and i do something stupid like keep shooting and hunting..then theres probably a good chance ill be visiting the CROSS bow forums next year if i were to jack myself up lol.....ill let you guys know..thanx alot
Old 08-14-2006, 03:15 PM

Everyone I know who has hurt their shoulder archery wise is their brace arm not their drawing arm.... 2 days is generally not enough rest to deal with tendonities in the shoulder, you are talking 2 weeks and a slow build up again.. I know when I did mine the doc told me to rest for 2 weeks completely and than build up slow along with the most important thing, STRETCH and warm up those joints before shooting.. Save you a world of hurt.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

good advice il rancher....wierd thing is i actually do stretch before shooting. i used to powerlift heavy and hard and stretching i know was very important. i know shooting takes muscle and figured it was only smart to stretch and i did. before during and after shooting. i really think it was work related. some of the patio sets and grills push 2-300lbs and we put them up onto a 8foot high sissor lift. sure theres 2 people when we do it but thats lifting up and over my head....as well as moving everything i move myself...unloading trucks etc...im sure shooting didnt help but the days i felt it when i shot i stopped immediatly. i cant prove its work related....i cant prove its from shooting..alls i know is i need to recover within a month TOPS to get back to shooting and tune my broadheads and shoot from a stand etc...hopefully ill be ok...a couple hours after the chiropractor it started to hurt again. we will see what happens. ill be sure to tell him the pain got better then worse after i seen him. hopefully i can get fixed up in time...im not doing anything tomarrow on my day off....maybe ice it...but not using it. ill let you guys know. when i get back to shooting im definently going to cool it and stretch harder and not shoot 100s of shots a day. i got my form down. im deadly to 35yds. if i get to shoot a couple broadheads a day and shoot from a stand one day before the season ill feel confident...in season ill keep practicing...ill be ok as long as im not SERIOUSLY laid up
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

I wish you a fast recovery and do not wish you any bad luck but it sure does sound like a rotator cuff to me also. I had to have surgery last yr on my right shoulder. If you need surgery then I am sorry to tell you that you will not be drawing a bow this hunting season. It took me close to 9 months before i could draw my bow back and hold it properly at full waight I hunt with. Fortantly I live in Ohio where I could use a crossbow legally. PA doesn't concider surgery as a disabilty so you can't use a crossbow in PA for surgery trust me I tried to get the premites last yr for it and I was told that I wasn't disables I was injuried and that makes the diffrence. I don't agree with it but thats what I was told As I stated before I wish you the best and hope it isn't as serous as mine was that makes you need surgery. My buddy right now got a rotator cuff that needs surgery and he is putting it off. He says the pain is alot less when he draws his bow low in the chest then comes up to his anchor points. He is putting off surgery becuase he already payed for a Africa hunt in sept. Well good luck and my best wishes.

Trytan
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM

I too think it is a rotator cuff[:@]
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Spike

I hurt my brace shoulder last year. Well, in actuality, most joint injuries occur over a period of time due to degenerative processes. That's what your injury sounds like. Arthroscopic surgery confirmed this for me. What to do? I could keep on shooting a bow (my bow was already down to a draw-weight of 40#), switch to a crossbow, or stop archery hunting completely. I love the season and my youngest son was just starting archery hunting, so I got a crossbow. What would happen if I would just keep using a bow? If an arthritic joint is continued to be used in a manner that contributes to the degeneration, eventually the joint will be completely gone and the only recourse is a total joint replacement. I don't know about you, but I'd rather postpone the possibility of that operation as long as possible. Again, in my case, my injury is due to wear-and-tear, not a rotator cuff or other specific tendon or muscle tear or irritation. Your chiropractor can certainly help relieve symptoms and refer you for xraysand/or asports injury doctor. Good luck and do what your doctors tell you. That's why you go to them. Remember you only have two shoulders. Is continuing to "suck it up" and keep doing harm to an already injured joint worth losing it?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot guys. im definently doing what the drs tell me. im hopeing i caught it early enough for it not to be serious. but i know joint problems are something that build up over time. my power lifting, farm work, daily lifting etc is rough on my shoulders im sure. we will see what the chiropractor says. wierd but it barely hurts right now. if i was stupid id grab the bow and go shoot! thank you all..ill keep you guys updated.