Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead blade alignment

Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Broadhead blade alignment

I don't have enough experience to have permanently chosen 2, 3, or 4-blade broadheads, but I'd like to know in general whether the blades should be lined up in some pattern with the fletching and/or with the ground.

I'm using offset vanes. Maybe the fact that the arrow spins in flight means blade positioning doesn't matter at all?? What is the conventional thinking with regard to how this will effect arrow flight?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Broadhead blade alignment

You will get mixed replies on this one........some people swear by it and others say it is hogwash.

I try to have my broadheads as close to the same allignment as I can......no matter where that is. On my 4 blade Stingers I like the main blade t sit straight up and down if possible. This is not easy to accomplish these days with carbon arrow inserts epoxied in place. Do your best and if you find one allignment seems to fly better then try to replicate it. Can't hurt.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:36 PM

It doesn't hurt anything and it looks nice, however it has been proven again and again that it doesn't help either. Hence shooting heads with more or less than three blades, or shooting arrows with non tunable inserts.

If for some reason turning your blades fixes something I would say it is another issue with your set up and that should be adressed.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats an old myth it doesn't matter
Old 08-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lining up blades means nothing regarding performance.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Site Buck Guru

I'm superstitious, I line up my 3-blades with the fletchings.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm superstitious, I line up my 3-blades with the fletchings.
I'm supersticious too, but used to line mine up opposite the fletching.

I shot a trio of Muzzy phantom 4 blades the last two nights and all three are aligned differently yet each flew quite true!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is a 4 shot group at 50 yards. Every one was at a different spot, screw em on and shoot em!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting elkcrazy, is that an ordinary group for you or was that target one of those "keepers". It amazes me how those arrows pretty much spun exactly the same at 50 yards (look at the blade positions). I shot a group very similar one time in elk-camp with a bunch of onlookers. I wished I had a camera cause it was a bit exceptional. But at least I had witnesses I guess including my hunting partner.

Anyway, I do like to have the fixed broadheads come off the bow the same way (same position). But not necessarily aligned with the fletch. I guess you could say I align them to the nock.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks for your replies. I suppose I'll stop worrying about the alignment then.

Quick Reply: Broadhead blade alignment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.