Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any info for a new bowhunter?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Any info for a new bowhunter?

OK so I am going to try bowhunting this year. I have muzzleloader hunted the past 2 years and have been successfull but everyone tells me that bowhunting is a whole new beast. Any tips for a newbie bowhunter?
(sorry for long post, and prolly a very often asked question)
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM

Default RE: Any info for a new bowhunter?

Other than the obvious things like practice, practice, practice....the 2 other pieces of advice, make that 3, are this. Find a mentor. Someone you know and trust that's an avid bow hunter that can show you the ropes. Second, read everything. Be the consimate student. Educate yourself.

And 3, keep spending time here. This place has a wealth of information I could only hope to understand.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:11 PM

MObowhuntr- thanks for the fast reply. I have been a "lurker" here for a while. I actually cant even practice yet because I havent decided on a bow! I am either going to geta reflex highlander or Fred Bear Instinct. I have to choose by tomorrow so i guess I better makre up my mind huh?Any good books you guys can recomend?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with mobowhunter. I unfortunately was unable to find a mentor, but hopefully you can find one. I relied heavily on reading... lots of it. Read as many archery/bowhunting books and magazines you can get your hands on. I didn't find this website until later, so at least you're on the right track being on here.

Good Luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for double entries... make sure you buy a bow from an archery shop that can get you properly set up. This is important. Don't be fooled by cheap deals through mail-order or website. Also, as for books, I like the Field and Stream Bowhunting Handbook. It's a bit short and outdated, but I like it. General overview of equipment/techniques.You might the bookcheap on ebay (I did).
Old 08-10-2006, 07:21 PM

I am actually working partime at a sporting goods store this fall (well till oct.1) and there is one guy who seems to know his archery stuff, that said he would give me a hand on getting started, but he also might be full of it and just blowing wind up my you know what. But i always like to see what everyone else is trying. which is why I am posting here.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 PM

Hey slim, I just bought the Fred Bear Instinct 70# and I love it. My bro shoots a Mathews that is way more expensive and likes mine also. I got the combo from Cabelas for $550 and haven't looked back since.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Practise how you will shoot in the field. From a stand of ground blind sitting.

2. Remember the wind.

3. Have Fun!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you don't have much time to get ready for the season, I would recommend limiting your shots this year to only what youare 100% confident with. This will vary with practice, but I would suggest not shooting at a deer at the longest range you practice at. For example, if you practice out to 40, maybe only shoot to 30 or maybe even only 20. It will save you a lot of heartache in the long run.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Quit while you are ahead, it will save you some time, money and disappointment, nah just kidding listen to these other guys and have fun, good luck......

Quick Reply: Any info for a new bowhunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.