Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horns?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Horns?

If I'm the only one that notices this.....and thinks twice about it....then just disregard my post......but.....(and I'm not gonna lose sleep over this fact....)......

Does it somewhat annoy you that the hunting shows we watch on the hunting channels CONSTANTLY refer to the protrusions on male Deers' heads as "HORNS" in lieu of "ANTLERS"?

I'm trying to teach my 14 yr old......but they don't make it easy.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Horns?

You'd think they'd know the difference wouldn't you?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

i know deer have antlers. along with elk and all other animals that shed their growth and regrow the next year. i also know sheep and such have HORNS which are always there and i guess they always grow...

BUT.....ill still say deer have horns. i just like saying horns better then antlers.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, "horns" bugs me too. Seems ignorant for people who claim to be experts torefer to them as horns, even if that's just a nickname. Grates my nerves like blatantly bad English. Of course guys pronouncing acorns as "A-curns" bugs me too.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Holy crap, Talon.....

I live in NC! Acorns? I'd better be quiet!

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't read too much into it. Teach your kids right, they'll know the correct term. But call em what you will. As long as they know the truth, that's all that matters. I call em both horns and antlers, depending how I feel.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a lot of misinformtion on shows, even on the web.....

My pet peeve is calling a bows string creep as "stretch"....stretch is a temporary elongation, like a rubber band stretches...creep is a permanate elongation as with a bow string.....

Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Rob that's a little too anal. LOL
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Yeah, "horns" bugs me too. Seems ignorant for people who claim to be experts torefer to them as horns, even if that's just a nickname. Grates my nerves like blatantly bad English. Of course guys pronouncing acorns as "A-curns" bugs me too.
I think you are my long lost sibbling....both of those drive me bonkers.

While we are on the subject....what do pronghorns have? I always assumed horns, but then I thought I heard something about how they shed them or something...am I way off or what?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antelope have horns! They are the only animal that sheds any part of thier horn, and they annually shed the outside part,the sheath! I've only ever found one sheath in many miles of walking across the lands where antelope play, the little critters eat them just like they do antlers! The antelope horn is more of a hair material, than bone!

Quick Reply: Horns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.