Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Critique My Form???

Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Critique My Form???

I would go and demand a new bow but when they measured me up and said I need a 27" draw,I saw that Dicks had the same bow that I was going to get and it was on sale.Imade surethat itadjusted from 27"-30.So I might have shot myself in the foot their.
I thought i'd go and check the shop out and see how much I might be looking to spend on another bowbecause my cousin said he'd give me $275 for mine.I knew I'd have to spend more but I figured this was my chance to get the correct bow.Well I went back today and explained the situation.They looked at me at full draw and said I probably could go 1" shorter.I drew the bow without the loop and it felt so much more comfortable.I thought well I'm good then.Well......I messed up and got to looking at the bows.I was already half way thinking of buying one on the way there,looking was a bad idea.They have an Archery Research 31 on sale for $399.They put 26" cams on it and let me shoot it.I think I fixed my problem.
I have the bow on hold until 3:00 tommorow so I could see what you guys think about the deal.Is this a good bow/deal.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM

If you feel more comfortable with the new bow because it fits you better then do yourself a favor a jump on it. The best way to improve your consistency is to have a comfortable draw length. By the way, that's not a bad deal on a good bow either.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM

They ought to let you do a little trading of the bow you originally purchased.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem with bows that require a cam for each inch of the draw is they are not adjustable much at all. If I were you, I'd print off a picture of a shooter with the correct draw length, then take it with you. See if you can draw the bow in front of a mirror, and compare. It will get you closer than you are now.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

I think you need a new bow so I can get your $400 bow for $275. Makes sense to me. By the way...what did Heather say of all this?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 PM

Get the new bow, definately. It's worth it to have a perfect fitting bow than a moderately fitting bow. It will drastically improve your form problems, also.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:09 AM

I'm sorry if it was posted earlier but how much did you pay for your current bow? Did the pro shop offer to take it back? I would try to get them to give you at least 80% of what you paid. It would be nice if they gave you 100% back since they are the ones that fitted it to you in the first place but I doubt that will happen.

Anyway, get the bow that fits. Like I said earlier, 3-4 weeks of practice with a bow that fits you and good form is better than trying to make your current bow work.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

The archery shop fitted me and I was going to get the Reflex from them but I held off until I shopped every where else and I found the same bow on sale for cheaper(Dicks).I should have went ahead and bought from them,then maybe they would work with me. I'm sure since I went somewhere else they'll tell me I should have bought theirs.
Sure am exited about getting my new AR31 though.I'm sure I'll have to wait a couple days before I pick it up.Can't wait.
JE
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 AM

That explains it. Hind sight, until you are very familiar with archery, a good pro shop is invaluable. Heck, they can be invaluable anyway. Have them set up your new AR31 and make sure it fits right before you leave.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:43 PM

your leaning back to much is your draw correct?