Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Critique My Form???

Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Critique My Form???

ORIGINAL: BamaHuntin

I thought i'd never post a pic of myself in my form for everyone one to tell me how bad it looks but now i'm getting desperate. I'm very new to bowhunting and I'm sure my form is all kinds of out of wack.
I read in a book to draw your bow back with your eyes closed and you should line up with your peep. When I open my eyes I have to readjust my release anchor. It looks like my bow string is crooked or something.After I move my release anchor itlines up.
After looking at the pics my back looks like it's bent back but when I try to straighten it out it feels awkward. If it is wrong how do I fix it?
I also heard that the string should be touching my chest as an anchor. Is this right? Feels right but it also feels like it makes me bend my back more or something.
The first two pics are my normal form that i've been using and the third pic is when I closed my eyes and opened them to the form that does'nt seem toline up with me but it feels more natural.
If you needany more pics I'm sure I can get the wife to snap some more if need be.
Thanks,
JE

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics001.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics002.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics003.jpg
I am usually not the first person to say someone is too long on draw length, because I believe the majority of people can shooter stronger shots and more consistently using korean style "power triangle" form which requires a longer draw length than what most people use. With that said, your draw length is too long.......[8D]

You need to shorten at first about a full inch, your release elbow is lower than the nocking point on the string. Shortening draw length will help bring this in line. Once you can do this, you need to bottom out that front side shoulder. You can practice this and get to know the feeling of that being bottomed out on a door jam. Once you learn the feeling of that locked down shoulder position in the front it will make your shot MUCH stronger and much more repeatable. Once you can get these two things done, I would like to see your draw length again from the back, above you, and from both sides and I could give you a rough estimate on how much shorter you need to go from there. These two things should help you stand much straighter and once you practice all of these things to the point that they happen subconsiously and without thought, your shooting is going to improve much more drastically. I bet you fatigue quickly after 40-50 arrows..........
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agree with Rack, I'm not sure if your 2" long but I'd bet that it's close....definately shorten the draw length and then we can go from there.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else think his peep sight is set too low? I agree with the draw being long. To get a feel for how it should feel at full draw, try sitting perfectly straight in a chair and drawing back. Then you'll see just how long your draw is.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, now I see... (it was getting real, real late last night )... I was looking only at where your nock came in relation to your eye, but that draw length being too long is probably what's causing you to lean excessively back like that as well...

See? Told you someone would come along and help! [8D]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to see all of you guys wanting to help.Sounds like a lot of you guys agree on draw length.Well,when I had my draw length measured I was told 27".So I bought a bow that adjusted down to 27".I not sure that it will go any shorter.I've been going to my local archery shop and it does'nt seem like they want to spend much time with me.I buy all my stuff their but when I asked themto look at my form seems like they don't care a whole lot about it.I went once last year when I first bought the bow and I went again here recently when I started thinking my form could be off.He said it looked fine.So...now all I have is you guys.How can I shorten my draw lenght?Is their any way to?
Once again I appreciate all the replies.Just a thought,would it help if I wore a bikini.j/k
JE
Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody have any suggestions to the above post about my draw length?
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I believe the number one problem with bowhunters is not knowing or not addressing their draw length. That should be the first information you obtain when you buy a bow. I would definately say you draw length is toolong on that bow.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM

I believe you have the cam and 1/2 cams on your bow. You can take it down in 1/2 inch increments until a certain point. I had a Hoyt with that option.

You also shouldn't be touching your string to your chest like that. I would say thats a big "no-no." I anchor my thumb on the back of my neck and the string on the tip of my nose while looking thru my peep.

Good luck and get that DL shortened.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I thought Idid address my draw length before I bought my bow.I went through a lot of reasearch before I bought my bow and someone on here told me a way to measure my draw length.Not sure what the method was or who told me but it came out to 27".Before I bought my bow I also had the archery check it and they said like 27 1/2".My bowsaid it adjusted down to 27" so I figured I was good.The cams have little notches.I belive the same ones ducsauce is talking about,and their set at 27".How can I measure my draw lenght?
Thanks again,
James
Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Take your height in inches, then divide it by 2.5 and that is your draw length. So if you are 6' tall, your height in inches is 72, and that divided by 2.5 is 28.5 so that would be the draw length for a person 6'.

Quick Reply: Critique My Form???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.