Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FEW QUESTIONS ????

Old 08-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default FEW QUESTIONS ????

What do you guys think about the spitfire broadheads?

What do you guys think about the HS true talker grunt call?

What do you guys think about rattling deer?

I am located in Louisiana and sometimes I think if I call I will do more harm than good. Also I had been shooting muzzy's but I switched to spitfires this year. I hope they work like they do on TV.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FEW QUESTIONS ????

Spitfires- They leave a devestating hole in the deer, you wont have to track them far at all, actually all the deer i have ever shot with them have fallen within sight.

True talker- Great grunt tube, you wont be dissapointed.

Rattling deer- i have mixed feelings on this, i hunt a wide variety of places and i have only seen it work at one spot, but in that spot, the deer come running to it, in all my other spots, they simply ignore it. I feel that rattling success has a direct relationship with the buck to doe ratio, but then again, thats just my opionion.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: killadoe

Never used them.........I am not a big fan of mechanicals when so many fixed blade heads are out there and fly so well. I have heard MANY people say good things about Spitfires though so let us know how they work for ya.

Had one 2 years ago I think and it is what it is........no better or worse then a dozen other grunts hanging on the shelf. I prefer something smaller myself although I did like that it was all rubber so it couldn't make noise if I banged it off my stand or something.

I live in NY.........rattling deer here is a joke. There is no reason for bucks to fight for does around here because there is tons of them to go around. Not only that, but most guys get all hopped up watching videos and then go out and rattle like two 170 class bucks are fighting and just scare the heck out of every deer in the woods.........If the setting is perfect then rattle away...........but in the real world you are MUCH better off with a grunt tube and a estrous can IMO.

I am located in Louisiana and sometimes I think if I call I will do more harm than good. Also I had been shooting muzzy's but I switched to spitfires this year. I hope they work like they do on TV.
I think you are right.............and I hope so too.

WELCOME to the board.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Spitfires... I'm a fixed blade kinda guy myself, but many people seem to have good experiences with them from what I hear... but that's just heresay...

Grunt calls... take your pick they all do their thing about the same. The key with these is that if you take the time to learn the vocalizations and the proper timing(rut, pre and post rut, morning, noon evening... buck, young buck, mature buck, dominant buck, doe, young doe, doe in estrus.... I think I may have scratched the surface), unless you get the timing right witht he right vocalization, just use it to stop deer that are on the move.... if you've gotta deer hung up out of range and headed another direction, it could help divert their attention.... I use 'em to stop deer for the shot, myself and typically dont use one otherwise....

Rattling... see my comment about grunts.... timing with the rut is EVERYTHING, Rattling with the wrong intensity(like previously mentioned by someone else) a the wrong time in the rut cycle will hurt also. Buck to doe ratios are important too... closer to 1:1 the better, which is likely not the case for where most of us hunt.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I use the spitfires and they are a good broadheads. Leaves a nice hole. Ive never used the grunt tube your talking about. As for rattling here in Indiana. That is one thing that has never worked for me. Not enough bucks...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think there are better heads on the market though Spitfires have come a long way. In their introduction they were terrible and the reason why there are horror stories behind mechanicals, they've since improved.

I see no one has asked, why would you switch from a good fixed blade like Muzzy to Spitfires assuming you had perfect flight from a well tuned bow/matched arrow setup? Just curious?

It's a quality sounding call. I own one and take it to the woods but it's not the first call I grab. (I carry 4 or 5). This is actually my second one as I've had one fall apart. I'm not a fan of the finger placement for different calls. It's easy to mess up. If you strictly use it as a grunt, I like it but again, there are better.

Like Rack for NY, I'm in PA and rarely will rattling ever work although I have had it work but again I think it scares more deer than it will ever bring in. I only rattle as the last result. On my most memoriable success I watched a nice buck walking a field. I was inside the woods about 50 yards. I grunted and he looked but did not come, I grunted again and got the look, I bleated and nothing...I tickled the antlers and he came flying into my setup...I did harvest that buck. More times than not tho when I click the antlers, they walk away. I have had other successes but again, I rely more on my stand location and the grunt call.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer
I rely more on my stand location and the grunt call.
Good advice Rob... Go to the deer, don't try to lure the deer to you.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Well how will I know if I like them if I dont try them? I switched from thunderhead to muzzy 2 years ago. I killed a hog with the thunderhead, I shot him kinda high lung area, it wasnt a complete pass through but he didnt go over 65 yards. Then I tried the muzzy, I had bought three pack form wally world and borrowed practice blades from somebody and hunted with them. The first deer i shot with them had a complete pass through each lung. She went down right there, but laid down kinda cow fashion, I gave her about 3 to 4 minutes and then pulled a thunderhead that I had in my quiver and shot her in the head. The thunderheads and muzzy shoot ver similar in my set up. The thunder head went through both sides of her skull but the arrow stopped at the fletches. Muzzy and thunderhead are great heads but I like to try new stuff every now and then. Like the grunt call I have, I have a knight and hale ez grunter plus, but I would like to try the true talker. I am up to try new stuff if I feel it will hold up, there are alot of broadheads out there that wouldnt dare screw on the endof my arrow much less shoot. Likethe crimson talons, great concept as far as the blades turning, but they look really weak. The only reasonI am trying spitfire is because I have heard alot of good stories about them. an they seem to be one of the top mechanical headsout there. My bows I went from a PSE edge to a hoyt power tec which i have had for several years now and my next bow maybe a mathews or a bowtech. Course I like hte looks of the trykon........who knows...
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Broadheads are good if you like mechanical.

I originally had a different grunt call than the HS true talker, but as soon as I heard the call, I went out and bought one immediately! I had stare me down one time in my stand and finally take off running in an open wheat field I was hunting on. While it was running in the oposite direction, I gave a call and stopped it dead in it's tracks. Waited a second or two longer and called again...it came running back to me. A call that can do that is pretty good in my opinion. My best results with this call have been early, early in the season. It looses it effectiveness later in the season.

I don't know much about rattleing, other than there is a lot of movement. If you decide to rattle, get a bag or something like that which requires little movement!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am a muzzy man myself

i like the ez grunter pluz killed 3 of my 4 bucks with it they come running i have seen the rue talker work to very similar in sound imo
ratteling doesnt work here

Quick Reply: FEW QUESTIONS ????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.