Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Canting?

Old 08-07-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Canting?

I was wondering why some hunters cant their bows, even when they don't have to. What does this do. Nugent does it a lot.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Canting?

Nugent does it because he shoots without sights, he shoots instinctive with a compound. You'll see many traditional shooters do this and with my own experiences it aids in aiming down the arrow.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

With traditioanal, it opens up the sight window a bit better then holding straight up. My point on target with my longbows is about 60 yards, so anything in the 20 yard range, the point of my arrow is around 18-20 inches below the target. If, I don't cant at all, I can not see the target andarrow. It also helps in keeping the arrow from falling off the shelf or rest. Howard Hill used to cant a bit more on close in shots.

When I used to shoot compound, I always had a slight cant. It was just the way I held comfortable. But I used to have to find sights that would allow for this.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM

I might just be an ignorant hick, but what is "canting"?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

duxrok, it's when you are not holding the bow in a 100% vertical position. Usually in the 12:30 to 2:30 position (right handed shooter).
Old 08-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

if canting dont hurt why in the world do sights have levels on them?? i just started shooting and my sight has a level and i been trying like heck to get that bubble level...wasting my time or is that what i should be doing???i noticed i feel comfortable with a slight 2 oclock or so cant on it...i cant figure out why it would make a diffrence if the level is not level...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Thanks Bobco!! I couldn't figure what that was, and I was starting to feel a bit foolish.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to have the same problem mauser. The bow and myself just didn't feel comfortable shooting at 100% vertical. I was able to mount a level on the back of my riser as a check so that I canted in the same position everytime. I used a sure-loc lethal weapon sight that I was able to line up my pins at this particular cant. Never looked back from there.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mauser, when you have sight pins you need to have the bow as level as possilbe because the pins are in a vetical position, if you cant the bow using pins your moving the pins to one side or another fromt he path of the arrow, if you cant top limb right, it puts your pin off to right and your arrow point of impact will be left of that...When shooting with pins/sights, you cannot cant your bow unless it is sighted in that way which is rare/if ever.

Canting is done to open the window and sight down the arrow with NO sights...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you use sights, there are sights out there that cou CAN adjust the INDIVIDUAL pins (as well as the housing) in a horizontal as well as vertical position. You will need this adjustability in order to hold the bow in a canted position.

I agree though, they are hard to find. Sur-loc lethal weapon was the one I used.

Quick Reply: Canting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.