Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHISKER BISQUIT

Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM

Default RE: WHISKER BISQUIT

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Oh yeah.....I caught the first sailfish I ever hooked up with.
I caught the first Cobia I ever hooked up with.
I caught the first Bull Dolphin I ever hooked up with.
I limited on wood ducks (4) the first time I ever duck hunted (at 20 yrs old).
I've fished in Canada.......hunted in Mexico, Argentina,Arkansas, SC, NC, VA, WV, GA, NE, SD.
I've flyfished in too many places to count.
I've trained retrievers (still have 2).....and been members of just about every hunting or fishing organization known to man......

Why do you keep typing out your resume??...........Why would anyone care where you have fished in a thread about archery rests??

But I've never had someone be so arrogant as to tell me what happened (or didn't) happen to me in the woods.....from several states away. That's what you're doing.

Jeff

Well..........now you have.........and I am not the only person that has voiced that opinion to you

Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Tuning-Tips
My arrows make noise during the draw, how can I quiet them down?: There are many types of arrows on the market. Some are more quiet than others. Here is what we know about making an arrow draw quietly through the rest: [ul][*]Carbon arrows with a smooth finish are the quietest. Beman Hunters are very quiet as are the Easton Carbon arrows. Rough carbon arrows will be noisy at first, but after shooting them many times, they become more quiet. You will find that even the noisiest arrows will become very quiet after several hundred shots.[*]Shafts can be smoothed slightly by rubbing with very fine steel wool.[*]Large diameter aluminum arrows (24XX-25XX) are very noisy. They are very sensitive to dust, and abrasion.[*]Camouflaged aluminum arrows are noisier than solid color arrows.[*]If the biscuit fits tightly around the arrow, the noise will be substantially increased. A loose fit that allows light to be seen over the arrow when it is mounted on the bow will give the quietest and most forgiving setup. You can spread the biscuit open slightly to increase the opening.[*]Applying silicon to the arrow shaft sometimes reduces the noise.[*]Keep the biscuit clean. Wipe the arrows prior to use. Avoid contaminating the biscuit with waxes, dirt, dust, target material, etc. Avoid using dry powder type waterproofing as it is abrasive and will increase arrow drawing noise.[*]Check that the biscuit is square to the arrow. Sometimes a noisy setup can be cured by pushing the top of the biscuit towards the bow string a little with your thumb. Paper tuning the bow will help optimize the rest position and can decrease draw noise.[*]Make sure the arrow is not pressing down on the rest with excessive force. If you are using nock sets above and below the arrow, they may be too close at full draw. This can cause more pressure on the bristles and increase draw noise.[*]If you are hunting on a cool damp morning, it is sometimes helpful to wipe the arrow and cable rod so it is free from condensation when you arrive at your stand.
[/ul]
Pretty much EXACTLY what we have all been telling you over and over and over and over and over.

Set it up correctly and noise is a non factor.

No one ever disputed that friction between arrow and rest makes a sound........that is simple physics and a fact of life with EVERY rest.

You know.....the first time I posted my experience with "the noise".....I admitted, subsequently, that I had sprayed my bow with white lightining before going into the woods that morning. Given this is a situation even recognized by CAP to cause arrow noise.....I was still told it couldn't be the biscuit.
What does the rest have to do with YOUR carelessness?? If you ran your broadhead across your string and it snapped is that the fault of the broadhead and string...........or your carelessness??

Even though I use carbon arrows (that haven't been shot hundreds of times through the WB)....I was told it wasn't the biscuit.
I don't see where it says that arrows HAVE to be shot hundreds of times to be quiet..........besides, this was your first year in the woods with a bow and you hadn't shot a couple hundred arrows?? WOW.

Even though I didn't use steel wool on my shafts.....I was told it wasn't the biscuit.
Where does it say that you HAVE to use steel wool to have a quiet shot?..........I've never used it and have no issues.

Even though I didn't utilize silicone on my shafts.....I was told it couldn't be the biscuit.
Never seen the need for silicone either............does it say you HAVE to use it?

You know what......no matter what anyone says.....it was the biscuit.
This from the guy who didn't know ANY of these tuning tips until today

If you didn't know ANY of these tuning options for your rest then obviously you didn't know much about your equipment and/or how it was setup on your bow. What a shame.

If you'll follow these tips from the manufacturer, though......you should have NO problems.....and you, too, can eliminate biscuit noise.

Good luck!

Jeff
You had to alter your drop away to eliminate noise correct?? That is OK........but any tweaks to a WB are unacceptable??

Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Fine! Let's do this civilly.

You said you have been hunting for 30 years...........and then say that you saw your first buck EVER last year. I don't understand why you would keep preaching your hunting resume if none of those years were spent hunting deer.............I have been hunting deer for the last 20 years..........I wouldn't use that information to bolster my opinion to you about duck hunting
Hunting ....being in the wild....is nonetheless gaining experience, there. I'm not a person that went to the bow shop and walked into the woods for the first time, last Fall. I grew up, there. That's ALL I was trying to say. I've been a hunter all my life (well...most of it).....which extends beyond 30 yrs. I've likely seen MANY bucks in the wild, too......but I'd never been 9 yds. from one....'til last year. I NEVER claimed (nor do I, now) to be anything other than what I am. I'm a "hunter"....who picked up deer hunting. I'm also no dummy when it comes to the woods. I've admitted to you on MANY occasions that I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. If my stand had creaked or I'd dropped an arrow from the quiver......I'd come on here and laugh about it. Neither of those things happened. What did happen is the noise from the WB made my buck go on full alert. I know that.

Should I have drawn, earlier? Hindsight says yes. Could I draw....NOW (current setup)....in the same situation....and not have the buck hear it? Honestly...who knows??? But I DO KNOW that I cant hear the arrow being drawn through my new rest. And Carolina Archery Products gives a full dissertation as to what WB owners can do to quiet their rest.....so it isn't an anomoly.

Just trying to help you out man............before you go ripping your bow apart piece by piece after every time a deer spots you. You having the golf experience that you do should know as well as anyone it is RARELY an equipment issue.
Again....we agree, here. I've been spotted a few times, too. I know that it was my fault, too. I also know when it isn't.

As far as golf equipment/excuse factors......AGAIN...you're right! What I don't think you're giving golfers (and a certain hunter) credit for....is being able to recognize a TRUE flaw.....and having the wherewithall to remedy it. I've come in from rounds of golf and KNEW that ONE CLUB wasn't right.....by virtue of hitting a coupleof shots......only to find the loft/lie of that club off a couple of degrees (from my specs). People are pretty perceptive.....in many walks of life.

Here is your biggest stumbling point............it COULD have been a thousand different things........instead of fixating on ONE silly thing that you think is going to be a magical solution to your problems you should be thinking to yourself how to avoid that trap in the future........
Atlas.....instead of fixating on the thousand things it might have been.....you fixate on ONE thing that's recognized by the manufacturer as a potential issue....and tell me the ONE thing COULDN'T HAVE BEEN the thing that spooked my buck. Now tell me how funny that sounds.

First of all you have been told by MANY other people the same things I am telling you. SteveBNY just told you in a recent thread the same things and he is speaking from experience of seeing hundreds of those rests at his local shop over the years.
And you've been told by the people that MANUFACTURE your rest that certain situations lead to their rest being noisy. Yet, you deny this fact, still. Amazing.

It's not offensive...........just because an opinion disagrees with yours doesn't make it offensive. Like I said, if you claimed Bigfoot scared away your deer do I have to agree because I wasn't there?
How do you debate an issue with someone who posts this????? How old are you?

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't see where it says that arrows HAVE to be shot hundreds of times to be quiet..........besides, this was your first year in the woods with a bow and you hadn't shot a couple hundred arrows?? WOW.
You will find that even the noisiest arrows will become very quiet after several hundred shots.
Straight from the CAP site.

Where does it say that you HAVE to use steel wool to have a quiet shot?..........I've never used it and have no issues.
[*]Shafts can be smoothed slightly by rubbing with very fine steel wool.
'Course....what do they know????

When the kids we used to play army with (as children)would always say "missed me".....we recognized the exercise as being futile.....and moved on.

See ya.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Hunting ....being in the wild....is nonetheless gaining experience, there. I'm not a person that went to the bow shop and walked into the woods for the first time, last Fall. I grew up, there. That's ALL I was trying to say. I've been a hunter all my life (well...most of it).....which extends beyond 30 yrs. I've likely seen MANY bucks in the wild, too......but I'd never been 9 yds. from one....'til last year. I NEVER claimed (nor do I, now) to be anything other than what I am. I'm a "hunter"....who picked up deer hunting. I'm also no dummy when it comes to the woods.
No one is calling you a dummy.............maybe you should wait until you have seen more then one deer while hunting before you decide that you are 100% sure of what they react to. I have probably seen a thousand and I still shrug my shoulders sometimes because they always seem to do exactly what you think they won't.

I've admitted to you on MANY occasions that I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. If my stand had creaked or I'd dropped an arrow from the quiver......I'd come on here and laugh about it. Neither of those things happened. What did happen is the noise from the WB made my buck go on full alert. I know that.
Explain to me how you KNOW that......,...how do you KNOW it wasn't your jacket.......or your boots........or your motion........or your scent......or your shadow..........or something you still don't know what it is. Was your stand height correct for the terrain? Did you have adequate cover?? The list is endless..........but you are 100% sure it was WB noise after trying to draw a bow for the first time on the first buck you EVER saw while hunting??

Interesting.

And Carolina Archery Products gives a full dissertation as to what WB owners can do to quiet their rest.....so it isn't an anomoly.
So does every rest company...........from moleskin to fork tamers to rubber arrow stoppers.........all just different ways to skin a cat.

As far as golf equipment/excuse factors......AGAIN...you're right! What I don't think you're giving golfers (and a certain hunter) credit for....is being able to recognize a TRUE flaw.....and having the wherewithall to remedy it. I've come in from rounds of golf and KNEW that ONE CLUB wasn't right.....by virtue of hitting a coupleof shots......only to find the loft/lie of that club off a couple of degrees (from my specs). People are pretty perceptive.....in many walks of life.
See the difference??..........you are comparing a Professional golfers "feel and perception" to that of a first time archer drawing on the first buck he has ever seen in the woods. Not exactly apples to apples.

Atlas.....instead of fixating on the thousand things it might have been.....you fixate on ONE thing that's recognized by the manufacturer as a potential issue....and tell me the ONE thing COULDN'T HAVE BEEN the thing that spooked my buck. Now tell me how funny that sounds.

That is funny...........because I never said it COULDN'T be. I said based on my experiences and your story........I don't believe it was. I am not the only person who has said it either

And you've been told by the people that MANUFACTURE your rest that certain situations lead to their rest being noisy. Yet, you deny this fact, still. Amazing.
No denial at all..........I think it has been firmly established that EVERY rest makes noise. Your contention that it is "deer spooking" noise is where the problem lies.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM

You will find that even the noisiest arrows will become very quiet after several hundred shots.
Straight from the CAP site.

[*]Shafts can be smoothed slightly by rubbing with very fine steel wool.
'Course....what do they know????
[*]
Is that really what you are reading from those statements??.......That you HAVE to do those things to have a quiet WB They are tuning tips to help people make sure they have their product setup properly. No different then any other company with any other product.......heck, the MZE comes with a DVD......so did my Summit stand, full of tips and pointers. You find this as strange?

When the kids we used to play army with (as children)would always say "missed me".....we recognized the exercise as being futile.....and moved on.

See ya.[*]
Jeff
How do you debate a topic with someone who posts things like this?? How old are you??
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

The list is endless..........but you are 100% sure it was WB noise after trying to draw a bow for the first time on the first buck you EVER saw while hunting??
I'm not going to argue with you.....but I'm not going to let you put words in my mouth.

I never said that....nor is that the way events unfolded.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM

I just replaced my WB to a full containment ripcoard drop away rest and my accuracy deffinetly improved.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM

I'm not going to argue with you.....

Why does discussing different opinions get the label of arguing?

but I'm not going to let you put words in my mouth.

Jeff
That's weird, because you didn't seem to mind doing the exact same thing to me a couple posts up

Forget flatulate................look up hypocrisy
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Yawn.....

Quick Reply: WHISKER BISQUIT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.