Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smack talkers

Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smack talkers

I don't get the whole Mathews is slow thing. Anyone ever chrono an Apex 7 on here? For a 7" brace height bow with a longer ata it is at least as fast as just about anything else out there in this category. Seems most people compare speed of other brand name bows to a regular switchback or XT, which is a hunting bow not designed for raw speed. This bow was built to kill critters, and is soooo butter smooth, quiet, shock free, has the least amount of nock travel I have ever seen on a single cam, and still plenty quick enough. Cripes, I am getting almost 290 out of mine and I am 62 grains over ibo speed ratings. Take the 3 grains/1 fps rule and then its shooting just shy of 310fps at 5gpp. Not too slow IMHO . If you can't kill a deer at any reasonable distance with that or hit an X ring on a target within 50 yards the problem isn't the bow.

Now for competition bows I honestly believe Mathews makes some of the best options on the market, and certainly some of the fastest bows out there that have acceptable ata lengths for serious competitive archer and w/ reasonable brace height. I also think the A7 and regular Apex have the best grip on the market that is conducive to proper hand placement. Add in the ability to shoot with some decent holding weight w/ 65% letoff since most serious target guys are using a hinge style BT release and now you have a real shooting machine.

Do you guys seriously think they couldn't make a faster bow in the 31-33" category or don't have the technology to do it? All they would have to do is take a bow that would normally be 34" ata w/ 60lb limbs, and short string/cable it to increase limb preload to the point of being 70lbs, and then see how fast that thing goes at 30" and 5gpp. If they did this, they wouldn't be the only company doing it right now. It's not rocket science as some seem to think to develop a fast bow w/ 7+ inches of brace height and I am pretty sure Matt Mcpherson knows how to do it. Problem is to make that kind of a setup reliable and safe so the limbs don't blow at an unreasonable rate. To do this, a manufacturer would have to go to an extremely high grade limb which would drive the consumers cost up to a higher level on those bows, which the market won't bear right now.

So what if they know how to sell bows, and like to support the pros out there? They have a great product as does every other manufacturer out there right now on the top tier of products, they just step it up and take the $$$ and put it back into the shooters and the kids. I kind of think its nice to see them step up to the plate for people at the pro level so these elite few can afford to pursue their dreams and a career in this sport and actually promote the sport and hopefully get new people involved. I have also never seen another company so dedicated to providing equipment, training, and support for young archers to get involved in the sport. Its nice to see a manufacturer in this industry trying to pass on the tradition of our dying sport. How many other bow manufacturers decided to stop advertising at the biggest trade show in the industry to take that money and put into an archery in the schools program? None.................this year Mathews took $250,000 out of their marketing budget normally used for them to be at the ATA show and donated that money to the National Archery in the Schools Program.

Alright, with that said I am done ranting. Just a bit tired of seeing any company being bashed........everyone makes a great bow these days and anyone bashing a company (especially the top 3) is simply biased or uneducated. Nuff said.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

People just drop it, we should be fighting against peta and not each other.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

one time at bandcamp!!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Drizzu213

If u shoot a bow with a single cam or paralell limbs u should'nt talk smack about mathews cause if it wasnt for mathews u would still be shooting technology from the 50's!!! davidmil escpecially!!!!!!!!!!!
And what hole did you climb out of? Seems your doing a lot of smack talking against members. Why you being so disrespectful of fellow members? Debate your topic and leave the smartass remarks out of the discussion. And what's up with the Davidmil comment? He is one of the most knowledgeable people on the forum, listen to him and you might learn a thing or two.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

.....and the monster rears its ugly head once again.

It has been awhile since I read a thread so entertaining.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:21 AM

Well said Rick...............glad youare on board...............

.....and the monster rears its ugly head once again.
I don't know.........when you have been away for a while - he is kinda cute
Old 08-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well to be complete honest, Mathews is a great bow mfg, made right here in the heart of wisconsin. I have some very close friends that work there, if you can look at all the patents that bow mfgs carry, you will notice that pse hold the licenses to more than 90% of thoes patents. I like Mathews bows, but when comes to service, warranty, and quality, id rather buy PSE.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know.........when you have been away for a while - he is kinda cute
For a second there I thought you were referring to me...with the "been away for awhile" comment not about being cute. Then I remembered you have been absent alot lately too. Starting a pro shop, wasn't it?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can't reason with the ignorant........ This fella here is a perfect example of why many despise Mathews. Congrats on losing any creditability in the future on any topic here on HNI.[/align][/align]No one likes a narrow minded fanboy.[/align]
Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Who cares what another person shoots. I myself love my Oneida and dont plan on changing. But then again I shoot fingers and some of the bows are only meant for Trigger shooters. Who cares who trashes this bow or that bow. I dont its a matter of preference. Lets face it we all have our preferences.

Quick Reply: Smack talkers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.