Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you carry corn into the woods?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Do you carry corn into the woods?

I enjoy drawing deer into my food plots. I have used grain in the off season to draw their attention to a new plot or away from an over used one.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM

We have it all around us....no need to have it with us.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes. I carry corn with me into the woods.

Why? That's easy. I carry it in.....on the 4-wheeler.....sometimes 200 lbs. at a time......to fill up my feeders.

Do I keep these feeders up.....year round? Yes (Other than during turkey season).

Do I hunt over these feeders? No (although it's legal where I live).

What is the underlying reason I do this? Because: No. 01....it's legal. No. 02....My BEST tract of land (in sheer numbers and size of deer) is a 24 acre tract that backs up to 174 acres that no one hunts. I do supplemental feeding to keep deer in this area.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I have. Yes I have hunted over them. No I don't feel guilty in the least. It's no different from a farmer fattening up the cattle and sweeten up the meat before the slaughter house.

I haven't done it in awhile though. I just haven't had time to deal with the deer so I've been only trophy hunting lately. I do need to kill a bunch of little ones around my house and they would make good sausage and jerky. Who knows, maybe I'll get off my butt and buy a bag or two for my yard.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 AM

I always have a 40# bag. Why??? DEER LOVE IT!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

Nope, illegal to bait in IA. HCH

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Every so often only during the season, no i dont feel guilty, its legal in most parts of Wi as long as you keep to the 2 gallon limit per 40 acres, yes i hunt over the bait, i dont shoot at anythign on the bait, thats the easy way out. I just like seeing the deer. Ive let some pretty nice bucks 130 class and higher walk because they didnt offer me a shot before or after they got to the corn. The corn pile is considered a safe zone in my book. A deer is a deer and theres enough season to always get one, but this year im after 130 class or higher only and any mature doe without youngins. No more cull bucks for us. This year I will not be baiting. I will be using my natural resources to hunt over, 30 acres of corn.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Up North we use gravity corn feeders. Down here around home we hunt the sign. You can't hunt the sign up there, at least I can't. There is so much vast wilderness up there in Northern Michigan that if there is no food down you may very well never see a single deer. Southern Michigan is a differnet story. Last year I did not bait at all down here and saw 17 deer in one day with nearly half being bucks. So yes, I'll throw down some corn if need be. Venison is venison whether over bait or not.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use sugar beets, apples and carrots. Why? Because the deer are rare in my area and I have to draw them in. The area is too thick to find a good spot and set up.

Tom