Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gravity feeder vs. "spreader"

Well....I didn't spend much. Should I just use this one at the house to view the deer? I just don't want to bring in any coons to my area......I have labs....and coons have rabies.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would use what you have...I have both gravity and broadcast feeders..
For some reason one of the farms I hunt the deer don't like the broadcast feeders...I tried them for 4-5 years, and seldom had a picture of a deer during the day...I wouldn't worry about the coons, they are going to eat corn, no matter how you put it out...I have pictures of coons and deer eating together under a spin feeder...A couple of years ago I caught 10-12 coons during the summer, under my spin feeder...

I would suggest...buy an over the shoulder type seeder...one with a zipper...mine holds about 20 pounds of corn...fill up your pipe feeder and spread the rest in the area with the seeder...then about once a week go in and do the same...Start doing this now and the deer will actually get used to you going in and doing this...I had a buddy that uses his 4-wheeler with a spreader to feed in his back field...A couple of years ago he took his grandson on the 4-wheeler and put him up in the box stand to hunt...He went back to the house on the 4 wheeler and was going inside when her heard 2 shots...Went back and found his grandson had killed 2 bucks...They had gotten used to hearing that 4-wheeler bringing corn to them...

I do like spin feeders because you can fill them up and they will feed every day for about a month or so...But gravity feeders also have their place...Another farm that we hunt we have problems with thieves taking our stands, etc...I use pipe feeders there as well...Because they are cheap to make...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

If you are using a gravity feeder you should have not wasted your time attaching it to a tree and just dumped out 50lbs of corn on the ground. :-) They are only good if you want to take pictures of the deer with a trail cam... you can get two photos a min for an hours straight.all the woodland creatureswill sit there all day till the well runs dry.

Spreader is the way to go.... Make them work for the food a bit. The will once they know its's there.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's a photo of the new feeder. I camo'd it, yesterday. I'm gonna go ahead and put it out.....and just monitor it with a game cam.

Thanks, guys.

Jeff

Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Unless it's going in a field, hang it from a tree limb 3-4 ft above the ground. Then the coons can't get to it. They'll come and get the droppings on the ground, but that's about it.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I just got through building these 2 broadcast feeders, they will hold appx 500lbs each and are programable to feed various times a day/night and variable amounts.

I have 8 of these now and am planning to build a few gravity/free choice protein feeders soon.

As for the camo, it's not needed, I have a couple of silver galvanized feeders, critters dont care. I just like them to blend in where they are out in the open and are easily seen by others.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recomend the American Hunter models. I have one and feel it is really good. I get extra long battery life also. My 6volt Enerizer has lasted 2+ years until I upgraded to a rechargable with solar panel. I installed a remote to activate the feeder when I want to give the deer a little extra. This add on required a solar recharger to keep the battery charged.

Mine is in my backyard. I've had deer, crows, raccoons, mallard ducks, dovesand bear visit it over the years.

It is true, those raccoons will clean out a gravity feeder quickly.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Did anyone LOOK at the feeder I posted the photo of? It gravity feeds into the trays at the top of the legs. There would be NO need to suspend it (deer couldn't get to the corn???).

Also...it's ONLY camo'd to keep the PEOPLE from seeing it, easily!!

Jeff
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but you are going to have trouble with raccoons for sure. Being that it is gravity fed, they will empty it quickly.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One trick I've seen that you might consider is carpet tack strips taped to the legs and turned out so the coons won't climb it. Your could layer each leg with them and then try to duplicate the camo patern you've got there with some spray paint.

Another trick is to place 3-5" PVC pipes over the legs and sitting on aspike driven through the lower portion of the leg. This allows the pipe to rotate freely and when the coon tries to climb the leg the PVC rotates and spins them off.

Years ago I was told to use white lithium grease on the legs, didn't works- coons still went right up the legs and anytime I was withing 5' of the danged thing I'd manage to get some greese on myself. Must have been some greesy coons running around my woods

If you don't want coons near the house you might consider not feeding them corn in any way shape or form. Put corn out & they will come. It's like yellow crack for coons.