Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot Distance

Old 08-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shot Distance

I was out shooting my bowwas hitting low. I couldnt figure it out. I thought maybe my yardaged was off. Thats what it was. When out in the woods hunting how can you know shot distances? I am not going to buy rangefinder.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Default RE: shot Distance

Well, then you're going to have to become quite proficient at "guesstimating." Or, take a tape measure out and tape different trees around your stand. Put marking tape on them and remember what yardages each one is. Different colored tape can help that.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

mo.....thats not a bad idea.....buy tapes in the color of your pins or something to that extent....it wouldnt be hard for me since i pace dang near a perfect yard when i strech my short little legs out....i always think things are farther then they are...out of a tree will be a whole new game for me...im just going to have to pay attention and think it out before the moment of truth
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

i step off markers like trees or brush piles like i have my first pin set at 20 yards and 22 of my steps equals 20 yrds so thats how i do it
Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Deerhunter,
Do you have a 3-D range that's close?
IMO that's the best way to get good at judging yardage.

Still it's a good idea to mark trees or something around your stand, like these guys said.

Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pace yourself: The average person's stride is around 3 feet + or - some inch's so when you get to your stand or blind.
Pace yourself from your shooting poiint to your target area or shooting lane and then mark it on the ground with something like a sent canister or whatever.
Just remember: when shooting from a treesand you have to aim a little lower to compsiate for the angle.
( I think I need spell check )
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pace yourself: The average person's stride is around 3 feet + or - some inch's so when you get to your stand or blind.
Pace yourself from your shooting poiint to your target area or shooting lane and then mark it on the ground with something like a sent canister or whatever.
Just remember: when shooting from a treesand you have to aim a little lower to compsiate for the angle.
( I think I need spell check )
Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

what i like to do well before season is setup my ladderstand in the yard and pace of about 18 paces which should be around 20 yards. I use one pin and I practice from that distance and as close as 15 yards. Just keep in mind the distances you practice at, youll get it. Remember when shooting from an elevated stand you need to compinsate for the angle so aim lower.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

When I find my tree I want to put my stand in i pace off 20 yards from the tree and make a little scrape on the groud with my boot. then I do the same thing for 30 and 40 yards.just be sure to make them just big enought to see from your stand (about 9-12 inches) I use those marks to estimate all shots in between.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I range a few trees from my stand, and paint or mark the distance on them somehow. Makes it easy when the deer come in.

Quick Reply: shot Distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.