Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it because I'm new

Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 AM

Default Is it because I'm new

I guess its because I'm new that I cant get a reply to yesterdays message. I accidently left my cotton ball with doe estrus on it in the woods right after I missed a 6 pointer sunday afternoon. He never saw me he started to circle around and caught sent of me I guess. Does anyone think that will spook that buck from coming back next week? Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:32 AM

Default RE: Is it because I'm new

It will not spook that buck, or any others. While the scent is still strong, it may attract them while you aren't around. After a little while, the scent will fade, with no harm done.

Don't worry about it. Not a big deal.

MOCraig
Old 11-05-2002, 07:49 AM

It could act in your favor. A buck could come by and start up a new scrape where you cotton ball was left. If not its like MOCraig said no harm done. Good luck and better luck next time
Old 11-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I leave mine out all the time and just freshin them up when I cone back to hunt.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ha welcome to the world of Bowhunting!!!!! Only way to know is to go back, and find out. See what happens. He may or may not. I personnally feel it really depends on your area, hunting pressure, and how those crazy deer react. I've seen deer do the unexpected more times than I can count. My latest adventure consisted of me walking to the outside edges of our property thinking maybe the deer would be there, knowing myself, and my brother had been in the heart of our woods for several days now. My brother took his ATV even farther away across the road. Well needless to say when we returned to camp at dusk, there was fresh deer tracks all over in the new snow only 60yards from our camp, and my brother had fresh tracks that walked within 5ft of his atv!!!! Deer will drive ya nuts somedays, Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 AM

I am in the learning mode, you never know what will happen. I am finding out through trial and error. Isn't learning fun!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2002, 10:13 AM
Spike

I'll go against the grain..Being it was a young buck you'll be alright, but a mature buck that came into that scent and smelled you on top of it will exit the area and not come back for a while. My $.02 When using scents you MUST take every precaution to not leave any of your scent in the area. If your sloppy you just educate the deer. It's like elk,turkey, or deer that become call shy. Same principle. I'm not an expert in anyway, just my experience using scent. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:14 AM
Spike

I'll go against the grain..Being it was a young buck you'll be alright, but a mature buck that came into that scent and smelled you on top of it will exit the area and not come back for a while. My $.02 When using scents you MUST take every precaution to not leave any of your scent in the area. If your sloppy you just educate the deer. It's like elk,turkey, or deer that become call shy. Same principle. I'm not an expert in anyway, just my experience using scent. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the great info everybody. Hearing some of this has got my hopes up for seeing that little buck again. Thanks a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.