Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it because I'm new

Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Is it because I'm new

Thanks everybody I didnt know you had to be so precautious not to leave your scent around. I havent used a cover up scent ever any suggestions anyone???
Old 11-05-2002, 12:46 PM

Default RE: Is it because I'm new

Scent control is important. Since you're a starting bowhunter, don't go crazy with it, though. Here's what I do:

1) Shower in non-scented soap before EVERY hunt.
2) Launder all hunting clothes in non-scented soap and store in plastic tubs with "earth scent" wafers.
3) Wear rubber boots, or have a dedicated pair for hunting. Either way, only wear them hunting, and otherwise, keep them in another tub.
4) NEVER wear any of your hunting clothes to the gas station, McDonalds, etc, unless you can wash it all before you hunt again.
5) Just before entering the woods, spray everything from your hat to your boots with a scent-killing spray. I prefer an earth-scented spray.
6) Most importantly - PLAY THE WIND. Don't hunt a stand if your scent will be blowing where you expect the deer to be. This is a sure-fire way to wear the stand out quickly, and spook lots of deer.

A lot of guys are wearing "Scent-Lok" clothing with great success, but don't worry about that just yet. Just keep yourself and your clothing clean, hunt the wind, and have fun.

MOCraig