Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact vs. Chisel Tip

Old 07-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cut on Contact vs. Chisel Tip

Anyone know where I can find an objective resource of information on the pro's and con's of both Cut on Contact and "chisel tip" type broadheads?

Both sides of the fence make sense, and I'm sure both have their niches, but What I'm interested in is 70#, 30" draw, 275+ fps, for texas whitetail.

I've pretty much narrowed my search down to slick tricks vs. magnus snuffer SS....
Old 07-29-2006, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Cut on Contact vs. Chisel Tip

With that set up you could probably take them with blunt tips.

You have enough energy for any type of head you want to use pretty much. Mechanicals might not be a bad choice either if you wanted.

I think you would have better luck with a chisel tip replacable blade type head if you wanted to use a fixed blade. They tougher and easier to keep the blades sharp, just put new ones in.

Paul
Old 07-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Any arrows I shoot are ruined. I hunt the Texas Hill Country, and there are rocks everywhere. A buddy I grew up with went bowhunting with us one year and shot 8 arrows in one afternoon(3 of which were at the same doe)... figure each arrow is worth $15 each including broadhead... that's an expensive evening to turn up empty handed. LOL
Old 07-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd say your 8 arrow buddy needs to spend less time on stand and more time at the range.[8D] As someone said, which ever you choose will work just fine on those little Hill Country deer. I'd shoot which one flies the best. Beg, borrow or buy a couple of each and see how they fly. If your set up is good they'll all fly OK, but I bet one will just have that extra bit of tightness to it's group. Heck, with that set up you'd be more than happy with a good mechanical and end all minor flight problems.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:38 PM

I'd say your 8 arrow buddy needs to spend less time on stand and more time at the range.[8D] As someone said, which ever you choose will work just fine on those little Hill Country deer. I'd shoot which one flies the best. Beg, borrow or buy a couple of each and see how they fly. If your set up is good they'll all fly OK, but I bet one will just have that extra bit of tightness to it's group. Heck, with that set up you'd be more than happy with a good mechanical and end all minor flight problems.

Good advice.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Nah... Wes could bust knocks at will at 30 yds... We were 13 yrs old at that time, so nerves were probably the big factor!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127

Good advice.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

muzzy three blade patterend the best with my martin davoh and i tried thunder heads didnt do so hot on mine and hat to tell you that you are gonna have to change the limbs if you want 70 lb 30 in well anyway i know you are anxious bud
Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer cut on contact simply b/c they seem like they make more sense to me. I've heard good things about chisel tips, but I have also killed deer that have had a chizel tip lodged in it's spine, shoulder, and leg, where I have never had a problem with cut on contact blades busting through whatever is in their path.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no reference to recommend, but I use the NAP Thunderheads for game wheremedium or large bones may be impacted. I'll use the NAP Razorbak cut on contact for turkey and small game where penetration is not reduced or deflected by bone.

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact vs. Chisel Tip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.