Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't express the importance enough

Old 07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can't express the importance enough

Pat,
Glad everything was alright for ya bud. I always wear mine, and I'm having some extra ropes made up to have at the top of the tree to hook in before making that steps to stand transfer.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

whoo hoo we must be getting closer to season.. the old "wear your harness" sticky is up!

Glad your ok Pat
Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 AM

I was invited to hunt in a deer camp in Illinois a few years back. There were about 20 peoplehangingaround after eating and the conversation changed to a hunter who was not there cause a fall had disabled him. It got quiet for a moment, then one of the guys started telling a story about his fall and why he had a little permanant limp. Then another guy started telling his story. Turned out every hunter in camp had a bad fall at one time or another, and most of us new of some one dead or paralized.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I am glad your ok Pat but another reminder I learned 2 yrs ago was to always keep very little slack in the strap. I was trying to turn around the tree for a shot on a lock on stand and actually stepped off the edge of the platform and since I didn't keep my safty belt tight with little slack I broke my hip on the edge of the platform. Very hard to pull yourself back up into the stand and climb down andhobble yourself out of the woods with a broken hip. Now on I keep my safty strap high on tree and tight.

Trytan
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in N.E. La. two men have died in the past two weeks while working on stands. They were both pronounced dead when they were found. Both fell while hanging lock ons. I hear of an injury or death every year involving hunters not wearing harnesses. I have been guilty in the past of not wearing a harness, but I always wear one now when I'm bow hunting.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive had 3 treestand accidents, you dont ever expect them even when you do everything right. they just happen. 2 of the times my safety harness saved my butt and one time I was actually climbing up my treesteps I was on my 3rd one so i was maybe 6 or 7 feet up when the tree step I had all my weight on while lifting my other leg to the next pulled out of the tree I managed to catch my self but in the process I slid down the tree and the next treestep down got me in the ribs. I got lucky and walked away with nothing more then a few bruised ribs.

I definately stress the importance of the safety harness. I still use my stands im not affraid to use them. I just expect the chance of something going wrong.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you use when climbing into your stand? I strap in when I get on the stand, but until that point I just climb in,like you did. Can you post some details or a good resource to use for this?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad you are ok pat

DD i sent IMB an email read it if you can and tell me what you think
[email protected] is my email just look for it should be there
Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dr Andy,
I use a rock climbing harness and a 'beaner clip. What I do is I have a loop of static rope that I wrap around the tree and back through the loop creating a cinch. I then clip my beaner into the tag loop and I'm hooked in before I get in the stand. When exiting I do the reverse and can even leave the loop around the tree for a return trip. Temporary knots can be made in the loop to adjust length. I'm toying with installing a line to put a prussic knot on during ascent so that I am always tied in.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM

Yes sir thanks for reminding us that this is what we love to do and it does only take one time. Good luck this upcoming season, have fun and be safe.

Quick Reply: Can't express the importance enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.