Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling

Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Rattling

This season I was thinking about starting to use some antler calls. However, I'm not sure when to use it. Are you rattle when you can see them so they come in or when you can't see them? Also, does it only work during the rut? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rattling

Rattling works best in the pre-rut and the post rut when random does are going into estrus. Bucks get compedative around this time because there aren't many does in heat so they are willing to fight for them. If yousee a big boy by himself during any rut fase though, it wouldn't hurt to try to rattle himin. During the middle of the rut I have found it not to work very well if at all because there are plenty of does in heat and the bucks arealready with does. During the main rut try a doe call, if there is abuck really dogging a doeshe will try to come to your doe call to push him to another doe, and he will follow.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Rattling works the best during the pre-rut and rut. works well in the pre rut because those bucks are rarin to go and they are looking for hot does. As far as seeing them, normally you would use it to either call in somthing you dont see or a buck that is a ways off and you want to get his attention. But before you rattle. Make sure you have the wind right. Almost all bucks will scent check the area before running in so dont rattle if the wind and your set up isnt just right. Also, dont be afraid to make noise. Some of the best rattling it when you are on the ground ripping up brush and scraping the ground and just making a general racket.Grunt a few times here and there too.Make sure you relocate a little after doing that though because deer can pinpoint noise extremely well. Thats what came to mind. Hope it helps.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: tschammel

Rattling works best in the pre-rut and the post rut when random does are going into estrus. Bucks get compedative around this time because there aren't many does in heat so they are willing to fight for them. If yousee a big boy by himself during any rut fase though, it wouldn't hurt to try to rattle himin. During the middle of the rut I have found it not to work very well if at all because there are plenty of does in heat and the bucks arealready with does. During the main rut try a doe call, if there is abuck really dogging a doeshe will try to come to your doe call to push him to another doe, and he will follow.
Sorry, I didnt see your post untill after I posted mine. So I guess we covered pretty well
Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

No problem, we should rattle together sometime. I get to be down wind of you though with my bow....ok
Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

When does it work best? - that is area specific. If you are in an area where the buck to doe ratio is very low, then rattling is best when used in the pre and post rut as said before. However, if you are in an area where the buck to doe ratio is close to even, then it can be used throughout the rutting season because there will always be few does per buck in heat at any one time and the competition will be more severe.

Does it work? - absolutely... sometimes It certainly isn't automatic, but it can occasionally bring a buck in.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the buck to doe ratio like someone said. Many times a buck doesn't need to respond to a rattle or call becasue he has planty of does to himself. I like post rut myself and just as it is kicking in. It has worked for me in te past in the right senario, but it certainly doesn't hurt to bang them together a bit.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 PM

I have never had any luck rattling but i have went with one of my former shop teachers from highschool and he can get them to come in rettling those antlers. Maybe im just not lucky