Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you perfect your aim?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM

Default How do you perfect your aim?

I've been practicing about 9 hours/week for the last month at the range, Theres improvement, but because there is hardly anyone at our club, I haven't been able to speak to anyone and am learning through trial and error.

My groups are somewhere between the bullseye and about 10 inches out from it in any direction, (at 10 yards) so not very tight at all. I haven't been able to figure out how to tighten them up much recently. Each time even if the arrow and my stance, and the position of the bow are all the same, the arrow has a mind of its own. It hits the target, but not usually in the center, or in any predictible way.

Any suggestions for a new guy?

thanks
-Dave

Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 PM

Default RE: How do you perfect your aim?

Do you have a kisser button and peep sight installed? If not, do so. Your problem is an inconsistent anchor point. And probably bow torque. Get a good, solid anchor, loosen up the grip on the bow, and focus on the target.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it seems like the "arrow has a mind of it's own", talk to a couple of the more knowledgable guys in your club/area and see what Pro-Shop they recommend.
The reason your arrows might be so inconsistent might very well be related to an issue relating to your set-up and it's tune.
If you are just learning to shoot, a poorly or improperly tuned set-up is going to seriously slow the learning curve.

If you can't find anyone to get a reference check the yellow pages and see who stands out.
In any event you definitely need help with either form or function.

Best of luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:36 PM

I would start by making sure your equipment is properly tuned. Your local bowshop can help. If you want to give it a shot yourself, go to Easton's website and print out their tuning guide. This should get you started.
good luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 PM

Not sure if this makes a difference, but Im shooting recurve.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

what poundage ? what arrow? how long is your arrow? what rest ? feathers or vanes?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM

30lbs, 21 inch arrow, cheap fold out rest, vanes

Old 07-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

have you tryed feathers?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM

I found a feathered arrow today in the 3D range and shot it two or three times. It was definetly faster, but I didn't have enough time left to find out if it was any more accurate
Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the feeling that you need to spend alot more money .
can you maybe get 6- 1916 featherd arrows.

Quick Reply: How do you perfect your aim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.