Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you perfect your aim?

Old 07-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you perfect your aim?

"Not sure if this makes a difference, but Im shooting recurve."

LOL sure it does. Try the trad board for a better answer.

Good Hunting!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Not sure if this makes a difference, but Im shooting recurve."
Uh yeah.

Shooting properly spined arrows with feathers is a great start and if you figure out how to consistently hit the target in the middle beyond 10-15 yards feel free to share that secret with me as well.
I was shooting my recurves yesterday and 20 yards isn't pretty.

I guess it's time to break down and buy that Byron Furgeson book "Become the arrow" I think is the title? Because right now if I could write a book for traditional shooting beyond 15 yards it would be called "Become the grass"
Old 07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

The recurve is a dirty mistress..........whether you are shooting a hunting recurve or a olympic style............they can be frustrating. I kneo with my hunting recurve I am a 12 yard hero. outside that forget it. good luck with your quest.[8D]
Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

After you know that your equipment is matched, the key to shooting a recurve is both form and concentration...I started with a Bear 45lb recurve...got to where I could hit a paper plate out to 30 yards...You must concentrate on the center of the plate and hold your form until the arrow leaves the shelf...Its much like shooting doves with a shotgun....Once the shotgun fits you...You mount the gun, swing and watch the dove fall, not even realizing that your brain told you to pull the trigger...
You brain is an amazing organ....let it show you how to hit the center of that plate and you will...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:52 PM

Sounds Impressive, can't wait to be able to shoot like that.

Im using a 30lb right now which I can pull back and hold easily. I've heard that when the poundage starts moving up you have to start shooting like your describing. I haven't actually seen it done yet, do you have a link to a video?

Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave...no I don't have a video...I started with a recurve back in the late '60s...
Just keep practicing and concentrating on where the arrow should go...Once you get the hang of it, there's nothing to it.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM

What brand of recurve do you use, I've been sharing one with my girlfriend. I think its about time i invest in something a little heavier

Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Hawkeye, thanks for the tips by the way, I went to the range and spent 3 hours practicing what you were talking about, I managed to shoot a few groups all within two-three inches of the center of the target. I actually think it works better
Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM

1.) Try shooting feathers, they are more forgiving of contact coming across the riser.
2.) Shoot up close to the bale with your eyes closed and concentrate on the perfect shot: good anchor, and release. Once you've got that down shoot at 10 yards until you master that before you start moving back. (After 10 years of toying with instinctive shooting I'm still only out to about 15 yards .)
3.) Don't "over bow" yourself, you need to make sure you get to a consistant full draw without cheating (leaning the head in).
Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Do you happen to drink a lot of coffee?? - Just checking.
Assuming you have worked on your stance, sized andtuned the bow properly,I think you should make adjustments to your grip. It helped me tons.
The torque in your grip will mess you up in the left-right accuracy. I actually removed the wood grip, to make it narrower, taped and glueda dowel cut in half to the back where your palm makes contact. Then practice by keeping your grip open. This basically eliminates the torque from your grip. I haven't dropped the bow yet, but a sling would help.
Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: How do you perfect your aim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.